Vietnam’s Ambassador to the US, Nguyen Quoc Cuong, has called on American firms to support Vietnam in gaining the US’s grant of the Generalised System of Preferences (GSP) and recognition for its market economy.
At a talks with representatives of about 50 US firms in Washington on April 11, Ambassador Cuong said that any support will help increase cooperation between the two countries as well as speed up negotiations on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement.
He urged the American business association to lobby the US Congress and the administration to recognise the benefits of Vietnam being in the TPP negotiations, particularly in the garments and footwear sectors.
The Vietnamese diplomat stressed that the TPP agreement is extremely important for its member countries, including the US and Vietnam , when taking into account the strong development and the level of liberalisation of trade in the Asia-Pacific region.
He asked US firms to continue to invest and trade with Vietnam and pointed out that the US is Vietnam ’s largest trading partner and bilateral economic cooperation has made gains in recent time.
Calman Cohen, a representative for the US business association at the talks, spoke of Vietnam’s economic development and confirmed his association’s support for Vietnam during the TPP negotiations process.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Exhibit highlights ASEAN cultures
» FTAs open door for plastics firms
» Failure to conform with margin trading laws leads to added risks
Latest Category Posts
- Microsoft IT Academy debuts in central region
- Vietnamese products trade fair opens in Hanoi
- US groups boost cooperation with Vietnam
- VN-Index passes five-year peak
- Bosses flee Vietnam, ignoring debts and taxes
- Fair competition in aviation market could benefit Vietnam’s aviation sector
- Thai firms ‘invading’ Vietnam retail market, paving way for dominance
- Vietnam ends contract with Chinese contractors who unilaterally quit power project
- Sri Lanka to buy Vietnamese rice
- EU-funded project helps boost timber production
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Vietnamese farmers taken in by Chinese partners
- What tricks do Chinese businessmen play on Vietnamese farmers?
- Inside the first Starbucks store in Hanoi
- VN Minister, Coca-Cola executive meet to discuss expansion plans
- Chinese farm produce floods Vietnam market
- Metro Vietnam sold for $879 million
- Investing in dollar not as profitable as in Vietnam dong: finance watchdog
- Foreign investors bullish on Vietnam market
- 18 world heritage sites: Vietnam “losing” billions of dollars?
- Intel's contributions to City development hailed
- Super rich in Vietnam triple in past decade: WB report
- Japan Desk debuts in Ba Ria-Vung Tau
- One of four flights in Vietnam either delayed or cancelled
- Vietnamese exports eye Middle East and African markets
- A policy change needed in border trade with China
- Chinese potatoes undergo toxicity tests in Vietnam vegetable hub
- Phu Quoc Island has highest hotel prices in Vietnam
- Four FDI businesses licensed in Hai Duong
- HCM City revokes licenses of over 500 long-delayed realty projects
- Singapore leads foreign investment in HCM City