At a conference organised by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development on May 5 in Hanoi, to discuss spread of cattle and poultry diseases, the Department of Livestock Husbandry stated that prices of several kinds of produce had fallen drastically due to the ongoing heat wave and various animal diseases.
Prices of many farm produce have fallen because of the current heat wave (Photo: Thanh Tam)
Even though the hoof-mouth and bird flu has been contained nationwide, the blue-ear disease in pigs has appeared in the northern regions, killing thousands of pigs and causing huge losses to farmers.
Meanwhile, the current ongoing scorching heat wave is driving down prices of farm and aqua produce, with the hot weather killing animals in breeding farms rapidly.
Chickens are now selling at VND25,000 per kilo (approx. US$1.2) while pork is at VND46,000 per kilo ($2.21), and carp at VND65,000 per kilo ($3.12), instead of VND100,000 per kilo ($4.8) just a few months ago.
According to Hoang Kim Giao, head of the Department of Livestock Husbandry, the heat wave has greatly affected the food demand of the consumer, besides demand has also fallen for many kinds of farm produce compared to the same period last year.
Right now, the Department of Livestock Husbandry is assigning inspection teams to various areas in the country to examine the real situation as well as deliver timely guidance to farmers to fight the current heat wave and curb diseases in animals.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Farm producers wish to remove VAT
» Vietnam’s farm produce exports remain precarious
» Reliance on imports limits animal vaccines
Latest Category Posts
- Soc Trang earns nearly 481 mln USD from export
- RoK firms honnoured for social activities
- Expo series commence in Ho Chi Minh City
- Canadian businesses seek to invest in Vietnam
- Forum tables creative economy in Asia, Europe
- HCM City targets 10 percent GDP in 2014
- New horizon in ASEAN market for Vietnamese SMEs
- Export rice prices increases sharply in November
- Vung Tau exhibition promotes oil and gas
- FDI flow to Thai Nguyen surges
Popular Category Posts
- Book examines nation's TPP prospects
- Japanese cuisine a movement in HCM City
- Over 4,700 enterprises in HCM City resume operation
- The South Korean’s battle on Vietnamese land
- Vietnam-Japan trade ties see strong growth
- French businesses hails Vietnam’s investment environment
- The South Korean wave in Vietnam
- HCM City’s GDP higher than Hanoi
- Exporters get support to enter EU market
- FDI sector lifts up hardware industry
- US rejects anti-subsidy tax on Vietnamese shrimp
- Binh Duong attracts property developers
- Vietnam may cut down rice land to increase incomes for farmers
- MoIT asked to rethink hydro-power plants
- How much SOEs’ directors earn?
- A lot of FDI enterprises declare huge losses
- Four firms in HCM City face thorough inspection after salary theft scam
- More FDI flows into science-technology
- Buying debts enables foreigners entering VN property market
- Minimum wage increase decision makes businesses dumbstruck