As Vietnam joined the World Trade Organization in 2006, cleaner industrial production has challenged domestic enterprises, which are seeking to improve their competitiveness.
The competitiveness is not only affected by product prices and quality, but also by factors relating to corporate attitudes towards social issues and the environment. Access to cleaner production will be a tool and an opportunity for Vietnam’s industrial sector to sharpen its competitiveness.
Environmental pollution is a pressing issue, particularly in river basins, industrial zones, urban areas and craft villages, while more complex cases of violations of laws on environmental protection are reported. In Vietnam, nearly 4,000 bases, including 1,500 craft villages and 200 industrial zones, are seriously damaging the environment. The discharge of untreated waste water and emission remain uncontrolled, affecting business climate and lives of people in adjacent areas. Therefore, the application cleaner industrial production is necessary.
To cope with the situation, The Prime Minister has issued Decision 1419/QD-TTG on the “Cleaner Production in Industry Strategy until 2020”, which aims to raise awareness of 90% industrial bases about the benefits of clean production.
According to the strategy which was recently approved by the Prime Minister, the widespread application clean production will help effectively use natural resources, fuels, and materials, while minimizing emission, protecting the environment and people’s health and ensuring sustainable development.
By 2020, 50% of industrial bases will apply cleaner production, saving between 8-13% of consumption of energy, fuel and materials; 90% of medium and large enterprises will establish a body to oversee cleaner production; 90% of Departments for Industry and Trade will have competent personnel to give guidelines on cleaner production for enterprises.
More support for cleaner production in industry
Five projects will be carried out from now until 2020 to enhance awareness and capacity; operate the database and a website; improve a network of organizations supporting clean production; finalize financial policies for cleaner industrial production.
In addition, the strategy requires that cleaner production should be integrated with industrial development strategies and plans. A network to certify the application of cleaner production for enterprises should be established on a voluntary basis.
The linkage between research institutes, colleges and industrial production bases should be strengthened to help transfer and apply cleaner technology.
The State provides credit support for projects on cleaner production in industry; encourages individual and organizations to invest in environmentally-friendly technology.
Source: VGP News
|< Prev||Next >|
» Incentives for Vietnamese investors in Belgium
» Tearful Thai PM urges protesters to take part in election
» Cement companies accused of causing deaths
Latest Category Posts
- US-funded agriculture project helps Quang Tri farmers
- Vietnam to prioritise industrial aquaculture
- Can Tho’s goods exports up 20.9 percent
- South Korea eyeing Vietnam as new farm produce supplier
- Vietnam sees fruit and veg exports surge to China
- Connecting markets to promote tourism products
- Australia- attractive destination for Vietnamese seafood exporters
- Da Nang, Guangdong forge tourism cooperation
- Foreign investors increasing stock accumulation
- Beverage market continues to attract investors
Popular Category Posts
- More FDI flows into science-technology
- Restoring order in shrimp material export: An urgent need
- Ornamental fish make profit splash
- Vietnamese rice exporters seek ways to boost sales
- Health Ministry tries to keep a rein, but formula milk price remains restive
- Competent agencies’ delays harms jewelry industry
- Chinese or American?
- Airlines spent big money to upgrade fleets
- Investment incentives begged for bauxite projects
- FDI businesses continue production despite losses
- Foreign investors eyeing Vietnamese power sector
- Hanoi moves to stabilise price of consumer goods
- Japanese outfits eye HCM City's attractive semiconductor sector
- Golf project scorecard leaves numbers par for the course
- Bad debt settlement: do it yourself
- Hai Phong attracts new FDI projects
- Vietnam Airlines releases tickets ahead of Tet
- Rising food prices limit buyer choices
- Power market’s low competition
- HCM City focuses on business sector boost