|1. FPT Corporation|
Category: Internet Service Providers
|2. Vinacomin Group|
Category: Energy Suppliers
City: Ha Noi
|3. Asia Commercial Bank...|
City: Ho Chi Minh City
|4. VIETTEL Group|
City: Ha Noi
City: Ha Noi
|6. DOJI Gold & Gems Group|
The State Bank of Vietnam, in an effort to disembroil both banks and businesses and to put the capital flow through, is considering issuing new requirements on borrowers.
Banks get afraid of lending
Bankers have all said that though they have slashed the lending interest rates applied to some borrowers, the credit picture would be brighter only if the State Bank of Vietnam took necessary measures to clear the way for bankers and businesses.
President of Agribank Nguyen Ngoc Bao said that it’s difficult for businesses to access bank loans because of the problems from both bankers and businesses. Some big banks have lowered the interest rates, but they remain hesitant to lend for fear that the increase in outstanding loans may lead to higher bad debt ratio. Meanwhile, enterprises’ situation is bad because they cannot sell products, and they do not have assets to mortgage for the loans.
Also according to Bao, while small and medium enterprises to not have feasible business plans to convince banks to disburse money, state owned enterprises, which have started the restructuring process, also cannot meet the requirements for accessing bank loans.
“Though we have been trying to push up lending, we need to be very cautious, or the loans may become irrecoverable,” Bao said. Agribank’s transaction offices can only approve the loan worth no more than 2 billion dong, while director of first class branch can lend no more than 80 billion dong.
Dr Nguyen Duc Huong, Deputy President of LienVietPost Bank, said that the efforts by all the State Bank, commercial banks and businesses would be needed to settle the current problems.
The State Bank should lay down flexible policies allowing businesses to restructure debts to make their financial situation healthier, and encourage commercial banks to extend the debt payment for enterprises.
Huong has also suggested amending the Circular N0. 493 stipulating the regulations on debt classification.
What commercial banks need to do is to quickly draw up concrete requirements on borrowers. For example, banks may consider disbursements based on businesses’ prospectuses, the total accounts payable and receivable which can clearly show the “health” of enterprises.
Meanwhile, enterprises need to show their feasible business plans with convincing solutions for borrowing and debt payment.
Tien phong has quoted its reliable sources as saying “that the State Bank has realized the problems of businesses and bankers, and it is considering the solutions to help ease difficulties for them. A new regulation is expected to come out in some days.”
Getting adapted to the “shocks”
Vo Tri Thanh, Deputy Head of the Central Institute of Economic Management CIEM, has noted that the Vietnam’s economy has never fallen into such difficult circumstances before.
Economists believe that the production and business may plunge to the deepest low in the second quarter of 2012.
Bui Kien Thanh, a well-known economist, said that only the interest rates of less than 10 percent are bearable for enterprises. Only when enterprises can access bank loans at reasonable interest rates, will their products become competitive in the market.
However, businesses have been told to save themselves and get adapted to the shocks, instead of expecting the support from outside. Ly Xuan Hai, General Director of ACB, when citing the figures that only 30-35 percent of small and medium enterprises can access bank loans, while the other 35 percent say they meet big difficulties and the other 30 percent remain inaccessible, said that businesses do not have clear business strategies.
Source: Tien phong/ VNN
|< Prev||Next >|
» Vietnam lends $400 million to improve economy, education
» Gov’t asks for reduction of interest rate gap
» New credit growth limits applied to commercial banks
Latest Category Posts
- Banks warned about risks of lending to large-scale enterprises
- Bank scotches currency rumours
- VN's gold policy aims at market or price stabilization?
- PVFC agrees on plan to merge with Western Bank
- Central bank dispels forex rate adjustment rumor
- Gold loses its appeal as VN bucks Asia trend
- Developing countries to get bigger share of investments: World Bank
- Rates, risk keys to micro-finance
- Lending over 4 months up 2.1%
- Asset management body to be set up in bid to tackle debt
Popular Category Posts
- 12 percent credit growth rate proves to be unattainable
- Vietnam considers loosening foreign currency management policy
- Central bank sends signal about exchange rate policy in 2013
- New credit limits ‘are likely'
- Cbank announces corrections on banking system data
- Gold market to have new big supply
- SBV trades non-SJC gold, commercial banks make fat profit
- Bad debt ratio decrease raises worry than joy
- Banks favour Government bonds
- Gold bidding mechanism not a miracle drug
- Credit institution investment rules to be tightened
- Ceiling interest rate reduction put banks in a stir and a jumble
- Banks see increase in outstanding loans
- Banks move ahead with M&A plans
- In troubled times, banks find reason for slight optimism
- Growing CPI threatens share trade volumes
- Ministry outlines plan to develop bond market
- Central bank extends gold policy
- Interest rates down, cash flow gets stuck
- Banks to support investment seminars