The State Bank of Vietnam (SBV) has purchased USD9 billion so far this year, said Governor Nguyen Van Binh.
The official added that, during the period, the SBV pumped VND180 trillion (USD8.6 billion) into the market. In February, the bank poured over VND60 trillion (USD2.86 billion) into rural and agricultural development programmes.
“This has helped to save many banks from the risk of bankruptcy through improving their liquidity,” Binh noted.
The SBV will cut deposit interest rate cap to 9% from the current 11% beginning June 11. This is the fourth time that the bank has slashed the rates since the beginning of this year.
The SBV will work together with ministries and agencies to set up a national debt trading company in order to settle around a VND100 trillion (USD4.76) billion in bad debt in the banking system. The SBV will also offer more capital for small and medium-sized enterprises. People who have real need for accommodation will also be able to receive bank loans, which is expected to help the frozen real estate market.
The deposit of the State Treasury of Vietnam at banks is estimated at around VND50 trillion (USD2.38 billion). If disbursed, the figure is expected to improve liquidity in the banking system.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Vietnam lends $400 million to improve economy, education
» Gov’t asks for reduction of interest rate gap
» New credit growth limits applied to commercial banks
Latest Category Posts
- Bank card information at risk
- Gold loses its sheen as global prices drop off
- The foreign capital flow unknown
- Vietnamese remittances to reach $10.6bn this year
- A lot of commercial banks change hands
- Vietnam’s remittances exceed expectation to top $11 bln
- HCM City SOEs to benefit from SBV $2bn credit
- SeABank to raise charter capital
- Stability key to domestic bond market
- Dollar market wakes up suddenly after long sleep
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Vietnam pursues cautious, flexible monetary policy
- VN economy sees dollarisation decline
- Stability helps bolster investors’ confidence
- Vietnamese people spend USD3.5 million on jewelry annually
- Vietnamese banks’ CARs surprisingly high
- SBV releases regulations for VAMC
- Interest arroused over Eximbank, Sacombank new merger rumours
- SBV regulates debt grouping
- Gold measures balance market
- Gov’t confirms higher budget deficit plan
- Interbank interest rates fall 1.17%
- PM mulling greater foreign interest in banking sector
- VND will be devaluated, but when and how?
- People worry themselves sick about gold kept at banks
- “Black credit” provides money to businesses to pay bank debts
- SBV wants banks to settle gold loans
- Commercial banks queue up to sell bad debts
- Gold auctions were handled legally: SBV
- Customer ID required for large value transactions
- VAMC signs the first bad debt purchasing contract