Tra Vinh has attracted tourists from other regions thanks to the ancient beauty of its Khmer pagodas, special festivals and charming scenery. It is also home to Ba Dong Beach, which is famous for its well-preserved primitive beauty, sand dunes, tranquil sea and fresh air.
Bánh tét Trà Cuôn, a sticky rice cake with star gooseberry juicce, a famous specialty in Tra Vinh
Ba Dong Beach in Truong Long Hoa Commune, Duyen Hai District, Tra Vinh Province, is famous for its sand dunes shaped by the sea breezes. Along the sand dunes are interesting casuarina forests, which are protective forests acting as buffers against sand erosion. Sweet potato fields are behind the sand dunes, where tourists can harvest the potato with local farmers.
Sweet potatoes in Ba Dong Beach come in many varieties, but khoai bí bin is the most favorite thanks to its sweetness and fragrance. Many kinds of Japanese sweet potatoes have been grown in Duyen Hai. Along the sand dunes are green spinach fields with purple flowers swaying in the breeze.
In the early 20th century, French people built a tourist area in this commune. Nowadays, Nha Trang-Duyen Hai Resort in Ba Dong covers some seven hectares with a food court in the middle of the beach surrounded by shallow water. The sea is shallow enough for tourists to go as far as 500 meters from shore. In the dry season, from December to June, the seawater is as clear as an emerald.
In Ba Dong, tourists will see the glorious sunrise in the early morning and a beautiful sunset with beams of light painting the sand dunes and peaceful villages in rosy hues. There is also a temple where people worship Lady Trieu Thi Trinh, a heroine who recruited troops to revolt against Chinese invaders in the early history of Vietnam. Every year, pilgrims from other regions attend a festival worshiping this lady. Not far from Trinh’s temple is the temple of her brother, Trieu Minh Cong.
Some 200 meters from Lady Trinh’s temple is an ancient tomb amidst wild overgrowth. It is said that this is the resting place of a princess who was a sister of Nguyen Anh (King Gia Long), and followed him to escape from Tay Son troops. When crowned, the king had her tomb rebuilt.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Hue moves to attract more tourists
» HCM City to welcome four millionth tourist
» Hanoi receives more than 2.5 million foreign tourists
Latest Category Posts
- An Bang beach, one of world's best
- Waterfall No. 6 beckons travelers
- Bat Trang – a paradise of souvenirs
- Floating oasis on Vietnam's magical Ha Long Bay
- Wind Strait blows visitors away
- Five churches for Christmas in Saigon
- Dong Sen Thap Muoi – new eco tourist site in Dong Thap
- In pictures: Charming Son Tra Peninsula
- Sword Lake in fog
- Visiting Vietnam-Laos-China border T-junction
Popular Category Posts
- Phan Thiet - ideal destination for Russian tourists
- Dawn on the largest artificial lake in Vietnam
- Exploring Danang in one day
- Dinh Cau Night Market has much to offer
- Ha Giang’s wonderful beauty through the lens of travellers
- A four-hour tour of the Chay River and Toi Cave
- Travel back to ancient capital
- CNN: Vietnamese underground wonders
- Seven attractive destinations in Vietnam
- Famed market remains true to roots
- Dong Van Karst Plateau to become national tourist site
- Exploring Bang Lon Island
- Land of heroes, diligent rats, music and dance
- Vinh Moc Tunnel – a tourist magnet
- Upholding value of Lam Kinh cultural – historical heritage
- Visiting Cat Cat Village
- Cloudy Thung Khe
- Four basilicas in Vietnam
- The beauty of time in French architecture in Ba Vi
- Da Nang - a progressive city
Destination & Places
Cuisine & Delicius
History & Culture
Arts & Tradition
More to Explore
Vietnam Travel Calendar