It was many years since I had visited Phat Diem Stone Chathedral on my first trip to Ninh Binh Province and I was relishing another chance to see the delightful architecture.
Phat Diem Stone Cathedral complex was built from 1875 to 1899 with stone walls, thus it is also known as ‘Stone Church’. On both sides of the church are four smaller churches of different styles.
The cathedral is a fascinating complex comprising of a lake, atrium, cathedral, four chapels, stone church, man-made cave and covering 22 hectares, located in Phat Diem Town, Kim Son District in southeastern Ninh Binh, more than 100 kilometers south of Hanoi.
The church was designed by Father Peter Tran Luc whose tomb is located behind Phuong Dinh Tower, in front of Trai Tim Duc Me (Ave Maria’s Heart) Church.
The design of Phat Diem complex harmoniously combines the traditional pagoda architecture of Vietnam with the Gothic Christian architecture, making Phat Diem Stone Cathedral a symbol of East-West cultural exchange.
The first impression on guests must be a large lake right at the gate, and then they will see the Phuong Dinh bell house which is 24 meters long, 17 meters wide and 25 meter high. Three floors of the house are made of giant rocks, of which some weigh dozens of tons. Walking over Phuong Dinh, travelers will see the big church which is 74 meters long, 21 meters wide and 15 meters high. The church is solid due to its wooden pillar system.
|< Prev||Next >|
Latest Category Posts
- An Bang beach, one of world's best
- Waterfall No. 6 beckons travelers
- Bat Trang – a paradise of souvenirs
- Floating oasis on Vietnam's magical Ha Long Bay
- Wind Strait blows visitors away
- Five churches for Christmas in Saigon
- Dong Sen Thap Muoi – new eco tourist site in Dong Thap
- In pictures: Charming Son Tra Peninsula
- Sword Lake in fog
- Visiting Vietnam-Laos-China border T-junction
Popular Category Posts
- Phan Thiet - ideal destination for Russian tourists
- Dawn on the largest artificial lake in Vietnam
- Exploring Danang in one day
- Dinh Cau Night Market has much to offer
- Ha Giang’s wonderful beauty through the lens of travellers
- A four-hour tour of the Chay River and Toi Cave
- Travel back to ancient capital
- CNN: Vietnamese underground wonders
- Seven attractive destinations in Vietnam
- Famed market remains true to roots
- Dong Van Karst Plateau to become national tourist site
- Exploring Bang Lon Island
- Land of heroes, diligent rats, music and dance
- Vinh Moc Tunnel – a tourist magnet
- Upholding value of Lam Kinh cultural – historical heritage
- Visiting Cat Cat Village
- Cloudy Thung Khe
- Four basilicas in Vietnam
- The beauty of time in French architecture in Ba Vi
- Da Nang - a progressive city
Destination & Places
Cuisine & Delicius
History & Culture
Arts & Tradition
More to Explore
Vietnam Travel Calendar