Many charnel houses with special wood statues of Co To ethnic minority people are preserved in Thuong Long commune in the central province of Thua Thien-Hue.
Co Tu people’s charnel-houses are built along forest edge. The size of charnel-houses depends on the position of families. The roofs of charnel-houses are often carved with buffalo or chicken heads, with colorful patterns.
The most special item in charnel-houses are statues placed on coffins. The most popular statues are a set of four statues, with three men and one woman. One man is singing, one is drumming and one is holding a spear. The woman is dancing. Statues wear colorful costumes, especially statues at charnel-houses of rich families.
There are also statues that show the positions of families. Besides the set of four statues, charnel-houses of rich families often have statues of an old man who holds a jar of gold or silver or beautiful girls who are singing and dancing.
Statues are placed in charnel-houses to follow to serve the dead.
Let’s see these statues:
In the past, charnel-houses were all made by wood but today, many of them are built by brick and cement.
A buffalo head.
|< Prev||Next >|
Latest Category Posts
- Floating oasis on Vietnam's magical Ha Long Bay
- Wind Strait blows visitors away
- Five churches for Christmas in Saigon
- Dong Sen Thap Muoi – new eco tourist site in Dong Thap
- In pictures: Charming Son Tra Peninsula
- Sword Lake in fog
- Visiting Vietnam-Laos-China border T-junction
- Once in a lifetime experience - conquering Mount Fansipan
- Tra Su indigo forest, the green banquet in flooding season
- Beautiful lakes in Central Highlands
Popular Category Posts
- Phan Thiet - ideal destination for Russian tourists
- The invitation from the wild islet
- Exploring Danang in one day
- Dawn on the largest artificial lake in Vietnam
- Dinh Cau Night Market has much to offer
- Ha Giang’s wonderful beauty through the lens of travellers
- A four-hour tour of the Chay River and Toi Cave
- Travel back to ancient capital
- CNN: Vietnamese underground wonders
- Seven attractive destinations in Vietnam
- Famed market remains true to roots
- Dong Van Karst Plateau to become national tourist site
- Exploring Bang Lon Island
- Vinh Moc Tunnel – a tourist magnet
- Land of heroes, diligent rats, music and dance
- Visiting Cat Cat Village
- Upholding value of Lam Kinh cultural – historical heritage
- Cloudy Thung Khe
- Four basilicas in Vietnam
- The beauty of time in French architecture in Ba Vi
Destination & Places
Cuisine & Delicius
History & Culture
Arts & Tradition
More to Explore
Vietnam Travel Calendar