Ban Pho commune in the northern mountainous province of Lao Cai province is well-known for brewing maize alcohol, which has a special taste.
Ban Pho is situated on the highest place in Bac Ha district. Its residents are mainly H’mong and Dao ethnic minority people. Maize is the major crop in this land. Ban Pho has become a tourist attraction.
In Ban Pho, nearly 100 percent of H’mong and Dao people brew maize alcohol. These bamboo panels are used to filter wine dregs.
Water used to brew alcohol is from mountain creeks and cliffs, which creates the special taste for Ban Pho’s wine.
Locals store up water in these big jars to prepare for the dry season.
The specialized ferment of Ban Pho maize alcohol is made from Hong Mi tree on mountains. The ferment is the secret of Ban Pho wine.
H’mong people grind Hong Mi fruit, mix it with wine and boiled water then knead it into round pieces and dry them until they turn into white color. They put pieces of ferment in bamboo baskets and place baskets on smoking shelves to use gradually.
The yellow maize variety of H’mong people in Bac Ha creates strong maize alcohol with peppery and fragrant flavor.
Boiled maize mixed with ferment must be covered up for one week to have the best flavor.
Brewing maize alcohol.
Ms. Vang Thi Thay (left) said that Ban Pho produces the best maize alcohol. Many tourists purchase this wine as gifts for their friends and families.
This man sells Ban Pho wine at Bac Ha market. He said he could sell around 20 liters a day, priced VND20,000 ($1) per liter.
Most tourists to Bac Ha call at Bac Ha market to taste Ban Pho wine.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Human trafficker gets six years in prison
» Largest general hospital opens in Lao Cai
» Lao Cai-Ha Noi trains get back on track
Latest Category Posts
- Wind Strait blows visitors away
- Five churches for Christmas in Saigon
- Dong Sen Thap Muoi – new eco tourist site in Dong Thap
- In pictures: Charming Son Tra Peninsula
- Sword Lake in fog
- Visiting Vietnam-Laos-China border T-junction
- Once in a lifetime experience - conquering Mount Fansipan
- Tra Su indigo forest, the green banquet in flooding season
- Beautiful lakes in Central Highlands
- Stone Church in Nha Trang
Popular Category Posts
- Phan Thiet - ideal destination for Russian tourists
- French-inspired first villa at La Vallee de Dalat opens
- Relic tour of Thanh Hoa
- The invitation from the wild islet
- Exploring Danang in one day
- Dawn on the largest artificial lake in Vietnam
- Dinh Cau Night Market has much to offer
- Ha Giang’s wonderful beauty through the lens of travellers
- A four-hour tour of the Chay River and Toi Cave
- Travel back to ancient capital
- My Khe - one of the six most attractive beaches on the planet
- Long Hai Town – blessed with beaches and Dinh Co Temple
- CNN: Vietnamese underground wonders
- Famed market remains true to roots
- Dong Van Karst Plateau to become national tourist site
- Seven attractive destinations in Vietnam
- Exploring Bang Lon Island
- Vinh Moc Tunnel – a tourist magnet
- Land of heroes, diligent rats, music and dance
- Visiting Cat Cat Village
Destination & Places
Cuisine & Delicius
History & Culture
Arts & Tradition
More to Explore
Vietnam Travel Calendar