Ly Son island district in Quang Ngai province in central Vietnam, is very famous for its specialty – garlic, which is compared to “natural antibiotic.”
Annually, Ly Son residents harvest thousand tons of garlic from 550 hectares of garlic fields. Garlic is mainly planted on sandy land.
It takes nearly one hour by speedboat from Sa Ky port in Quang Ngai city to get to Ly Son district island, where the first Sa Huynh residents lived nearly 3,000 years ago and left behind mysterious stories about Sa Huynh culture.
Ly Son Island is known as Cu Lao Re or Re Island because, according to local elders, the island has a lot of Ré, a type of wood. The bark of the tree is used as strings. Ly Son has three communes - An Hai, An Vinh and An Binh. Though it is a small island, it takes three to four days to explore.
Ly Son is also known as the kingdom of garlic. Garlic fields on the island are like a green carpet. Ly Son garlic is a local specialty, preferable to other varieties. It’s medium-sized, white, tasty, and often used as a remedy. The local garlic has become an indispensable gift for any tourist.
Tourists to Ly Son are also captivated by the local special seafood, especially the wide variety of snails. Souvenirs made of snail shells are often included in gift packages of tourists.
Local residents also grow onions. If garlic is planted in the winter, onion is planted in the summer.
Garlic and onion are usually harvested in the afternoon.
One kilo of onion is priced VND20,000 ($1) at the field and VND25,000-VND30,000/kg at port.
|< Prev||Next >|
» City delegation gives Tet gifts to poor residents on Ly Son Island
» Garlic helps kill contaminants in baby formula: study
» Amenities projects planned for Ly Son
Latest Category Posts
- Wind Strait blows visitors away
- Five churches for Christmas in Saigon
- Dong Sen Thap Muoi – new eco tourist site in Dong Thap
- In pictures: Charming Son Tra Peninsula
- Sword Lake in fog
- Visiting Vietnam-Laos-China border T-junction
- Once in a lifetime experience - conquering Mount Fansipan
- Tra Su indigo forest, the green banquet in flooding season
- Beautiful lakes in Central Highlands
- Stone Church in Nha Trang
Popular Category Posts
- Phan Thiet - ideal destination for Russian tourists
- The invitation from the wild islet
- Exploring Danang in one day
- Dawn on the largest artificial lake in Vietnam
- Dinh Cau Night Market has much to offer
- Ha Giang’s wonderful beauty through the lens of travellers
- A four-hour tour of the Chay River and Toi Cave
- Travel back to ancient capital
- CNN: Vietnamese underground wonders
- Famed market remains true to roots
- Dong Van Karst Plateau to become national tourist site
- Seven attractive destinations in Vietnam
- Exploring Bang Lon Island
- Vinh Moc Tunnel – a tourist magnet
- Land of heroes, diligent rats, music and dance
- Visiting Cat Cat Village
- Cloudy Thung Khe
- Four basilicas in Vietnam
- The beauty of time in French architecture in Ba Vi
- Da Nang - a progressive city
Destination & Places
Cuisine & Delicius
History & Culture
Arts & Tradition
More to Explore
Vietnam Travel Calendar