To Khmer people, the pagoda is not only a place to worship and to keep sculptural and fine arts works but also an integral part of their culture.
The Pitu Khosa Rangsay Pagoda reﬂ ects over Xang Thoi Lake on full-moon nights
In Can Tho City, the Pitu Khosa Rangsay Pagoda (Vien Quang), is a religious haunt of the Khmer community and is one of the most beautiful temples in the delta due to its sophisticated architecture and the spiritual values that it brings.
The temple, located at 27/18 Mac Dinh Chi Road, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho City, is named Chua Sau (After Pagoda) because at that time on the main Hoa Binh Boulevard there stood the Rangsay Muni Pagoda or Chua Truoc First (Pagoda).
The pagoda covers 500 square meters and includes many areas such as a sanctum, monk house, gate and bell tower. It has three floors, constructed from reinforced concrete masonry.
The four buildings which are decorated with delicate patterns display an Angkor dragon, fairy Keynor, sacred bird Krud, god Hanuman, goddess Teppanom which are majestic.
The pagoda gate is built meticulously with elegant carvings on the rooftop with a bas-relief of Buddha and large embossed pillars. To the pagoda, tourists will see many statues of snakes and dragons on the roofs, bird-human Garuda, fairy Kayno and Goddess Reahu on the sanctum or many images of elephants, birds, flowers, clouds as well as legends of Buddha on walls and pillars.
The overall architecture whilst keeping with the unique characteristics of Khmer culture has stylized modern harmony between Angkor and Khmer people in the delta.
The small alley heading to the Pitu Khosa Rang- say Pagoda in Can Tho City - Photos: Lam Van Son
|< Prev||Next >|
» Poor people in Tra Vinh get free eye surgery
» Khmer people enjoy Chol Chnam Thmay
» Lam Phel, Thach Tu keep Khmer culture alive
Latest Category Posts
- In pictures: Charming Son Tra Peninsula
- Sword Lake in fog
- Visiting Vietnam-Laos-China border T-junction
- Once in a lifetime experience - conquering Mount Fansipan
- Tra Su indigo forest, the green banquet in flooding season
- Beautiful lakes in Central Highlands
- Stone Church in Nha Trang
- Gorgeous scenery of Hai Van Pass
- Pu Mat holds romantic adventure
- In pictures: One day at Quy Nhon sea
Popular Category Posts
- Phan Thiet - ideal destination for Russian tourists
- French-inspired first villa at La Vallee de Dalat opens
- Relic tour of Thanh Hoa
- The invitation from the wild islet
- Exploring Danang in one day
- Dawn on the largest artificial lake in Vietnam
- Dinh Cau Night Market has much to offer
- Ha Giang’s wonderful beauty through the lens of travellers
- A four-hour tour of the Chay River and Toi Cave
- My Khe - one of the six most attractive beaches on the planet
- Travel back to ancient capital
- Long Hai Town – blessed with beaches and Dinh Co Temple
- Seven attractive destinations in Vietnam
- Dong Van Karst Plateau to become national tourist site
- Famed market remains true to roots
- Exploring Bang Lon Island
- CNN: Vietnamese underground wonders
- Vinh Moc Tunnel – a tourist magnet
- Land of heroes, diligent rats, music and dance
- Visiting Cat Cat Village
Destination & Places
Cuisine & Delicius
History & Culture
Arts & Tradition
More to Explore
Vietnam Travel Calendar