Thien Duong (Paradise) Cave, discovered and named by scientists of the British Cave Research Association in 2005, has the length of 31km, said a British scientist on May 23.
Dr. Howard Limbert of the British Cave Research Association said revelations of the cave’s extraordinary length sets new record for cave systems in the central province of Quang Binh.
Upon their initial discovery back in 2005, scientists believed the cave to be no longer than 5km. Yesterday they announced that the cave is in fact 31km in length.
British scientists lauded Thien Duong as "the largest and most beautiful cave in the Phong Nha-Ke Bang area". With naturally primitive features Thien Duong Cave looks like a landscape painting, making it very attractive to visitors. To go down the cave, visitors have to cling to a rope, which runs along the sides of a cliff.
According to spelunkers, the deeper one journeys into the cave, the more one feels the wells of heavenly clarity all around. There are a series of white crystal stalactites resembling glass pillars and many other spectacular formations.
The lower one goes, the view only becomes more colorful and multi-dimensional its space. Some of the cave’s rock formations of resemble familiar images of the daily life, such as a flower trellises and vegetable gardens. Scientists also discovered a section of stone fungus and some unknown diminutive creatures, rare inhabitants of such caves.
According to Dr. Howard Limbert, this may be the longest dry cave in Asia and its 31km length is a shock to scientists.
The cave hopes to become a future destination for tourists due to its beauty, reminiscent of an imperial palace.
|< Prev||Next >|
Latest Category Posts
- Cruise liner Hanseatic brings foreigners to Vietnam
- Hanoi sees large number of travellers on holiday
- Quang Binh launches helicopter tours
- Carnival Ha Long to take place on April 30
- Tourists discontented with the entrance fees to Hoi An
- Three-wheelers help Ly Son lure more tourists
- VN-Japan tourism activities boom in Q1
- Japanese tourists to Vietnam increase sharply
- Da Lat hotels fully booked for upcoming holiday
- Hanoi expands pedestrian areas in Old Quarter
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Visitors to Lao Cai increase sharply over Tet
- Russian shops flood Nha Trang City
- International Travel Mart will promote Viet Nam tourism
- Arab Sheikh amazed at VN’s Son Doong cave
- Tours of villages attract foreign tourists
- Russia-potential market for Vietnam tourism
- Vietnam Airlines cancels 20 HCM City-Thanh Hoa flights
- Illegal foreign tourist guides uncontrollable in Vietnam
- Foreign arrivals increase sharply in two months
- Central city announces plans for Beach Tourism Season
- Second free tourism information centre opens in Da Nang
- Quang Ninh: village tourism lures international tourists
- Tourists change destination from Thailand to Vietnam
- Cherry Blossom Festival to open in Ha Long
- More new flight to Can Tho City
- Ben Tre strives to welcome 1 million tourists
- Foreign tourists and Hoi An’s farmers compete in vegetable growing contest
- Hanoi, HCM City - budget backpacking destinations
- New massive cave discovered in central Viet Nam national park
- MoT orders inspections of tourist vessels
Destination & Places
Cuisine & Delicius
History & Culture
Arts & Tradition
More to Explore
Vietnam Travel Calendar