The number of international tourists to the country has gone up 13.9% year-on-year to over 3.63 million in the year to date but it has strongly plunged in the two recent months, putting higher pressure on inbound tour operators in the rest of the year.
South Korean tourists pose for a group photo inside the HCMC Post Office.
According to the General Statistics Office, there were over 417,000 foreigners traveling to Vietnam in June, a fall of 8.8% year-on-year. The country in May also witnessed international tourist arrivals dipping, making up only 95.6% of that in the year-ago period.
Enterprises in the inbound tourism segment attributed slowing tourism demands from foreign tour buyers to current economic slump. They noticed the same situation also occurred in other nations, with fewer customers booking for international fairs.
“In general, the local tourism industry this year will be facing more difficulties due to declining foreign tourist arrivals, especially from the European market,” said Vo Anh Tai, director of Saigontourist Holding Company.
Local tour operators acknowledge the need to revise tour prices down to woo customers in the current context but they all find the solution impossible given an upsurge in input costs in the industry.
Arrivals from China, as the country’s biggest visitor-generating market, have posted lower growth rate in the year’s first half, at a mere 3% as observed by the office. Meanwhile, the number of Japanese tourists has sharply increased by 22.8% compared to 11.7% recorded in the same period last year and that of South Korea has risen by 41.3% compared to 3.7% in the previous year.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Hue on track to meet annual tourism target
» Phan Thiet - ideal destination for Russian tourists
» Hundreds of foreign tourists booked for tours to Son Doong Cave
Latest Category Posts
- French culture to be celebrated during cultural week
- Hanoi is named in Top 10 Destinations on the Rise in the World
- VN travelers offered preferences to go abroad
- VietJetAir promotes new Vinh-Da Lat flights
- Dragonair increases Danang-Hong Kong flights
- Tourism to be promoted online
- Lam Dong urges quick road upgrade to draw tourists to Dalat
- Homestay provides lasting memory of scenic Vietnam
- Thanh Hoa to raise entrance fees to tourist attractions
- Tourism property: resort developers hit the jackpot
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Foreign tourists not allowed renting motorcycles without a driving license
- Soc Trang highlights eco-tourism
- Ha Noi and HCM City budget paradise for English youth
- HCM City welcomes 2.8m foreign arrivals this year
- Inbound tourism enjoys robust growth
- Traveling by bus in Hanoi
- Phu Quoc lacks hotels for Russians
- Sea tourism attracts visitors
- Da Lat to launch Culture-Tourism Week
- 4,500 foreigners join luxury cruises to Vietnam
- Hoi An one of Asia's top cities
- Tourism staff lack soft skills
- Hanoi electric buggies spark success
- Language hinders Russian visitor attraction
- Danang stages road shows to woo regional airlines
- Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park reopens after storm
- Water puppet theatre sets Asian record
- S. Korea loosens visas for Vietnamese tourists
- Hundreds of foreign tourists booked for tours to Son Doong Cave
- Water resources linked to tourism
Destination & Places
Cuisine & Delicius
History & Culture
Arts & Tradition
More to Explore
Vietnam Travel Calendar