City: Ha Noi
|2. DOJI Gold & Gems Group|
|3. BIDV Bank|
City: Ha Noi
|4. Sacombank Group|
City: Ho Chi Minh City
|5. Honda Viet Nam|
Category: Car Parts and Accessories
City: Vinh Phuc
City: Ha Noi
Le Nam Thang, deputy minister of Information and Communications, said Vietnam is developing a new Internet policy to replace the old one, keeping in mind the current situation in the country, and exploring the advantages of the Internet, curbing misuse and focused on socio-economic growth.
The deputy minister stated this at a meeting to discuss ‘Influence of Internet on the country’s economic growth’ organised by the Vietnam Club of Information Technology Journalists with participation of leaders of the Ministry of Information and Communications, Vietnam’s Internet Association and international IT corporations such as Google, Intel and other domestic enterprises.
At the meeting, the US-based McKinsey & Company released its survey report ‘Online and upcoming: Internet impact on developing countries.’
The Internet contributes to 9 per cent of Vietnam’s gross domestic product (GDP), which is the same as Turkey and Morocco, according to a recent global survey.
The contribution is driven by private consumption of Internet-related products such as broadband and mobile Internet spending, cited the survey.
Private consumption accounts for some 2 per cent of Vietnam’s GDP but is offset by the country’s large trade deficit in Internet-related goods and services.
The survey also pointed out that the GDP contribution of the Internet in Vietnam is still lower than the two per cent average for nine developing countries that the company studied in detail.
However, Shaowei Ying, associate principal in McKinsey’s Singapore office, told at the seminar that the contribution will soon catch up with the average rate and probably be able to reach 2.5 per cent in the near future.
On the other hand, McKinsey’s survey found that e-commerce in Vietnam is still an untapped market with high potential for growth. Shaowei Ying announced that business effectiveness of small and medium enterprises has increased by 19.3 per cent thanks to utilization of Internet.
It said more than one-third of Internet users have visited an online shopping or auction site. Meanwhile, in another survey, 50 per cent of Internet users said they believed that shopping online provides access to a wider range of products.
Moreover, Vietnam’s foundations for e-commerce activity are low in comparison with more developed countries and regional averages, due to low online payment enablement, McKinsey said in the survey.
Vietnam has 30 million Internet users in Vietnam, accounting for 31 per cent of the population. The blooming growth of telecommunications and Information technology in the country has brought hopes of a breakthrough for Vietnam’s economy.
Ann Lavin, Head of the Public Policy and Government Affairs, Southeast Asia at Google Asia Pacific, said the real strength of internet in developing economy is in small and medium enterprises. She added that Google will have a discussion with Vietnam to assist such enterprises to participate in international markets.
Vuong Quang Khai, director of VNG, said during the past 10 years, digital content increased by over 50 per cent, a favourite condition to develop the digital content industry, as more and more subscribers have paid to access or download digital content.
However, it needs an appropriate policy to manage it or else it will fall in the control of foreign countries and affect national security, Khai said.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Agencies urged to boost transparency
Latest Category Posts
- ADSL services less attractive amid new technologies
- Digital content firms join forces to stimulate IPv6 users
- Online sellers & buyers swindle each other
- YouTube launches pay-to-watch subscription channels
- Anti-virus centre releases new version of software
- IT implementation made no significant progress last year
- Vietnam applies new Internet protocol
- Vietnam’s 3G service fee 40 times cheaper than in Europe
- Spotify rushes to fix free download vulnerability
- BitTorrent reveals Bundle file to package media content
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Domestic anti-virus software doesn’t have many opportunities on home market
- Gov't websites vulnerable to attack
- To Improve Conversations, Facebook Will Launch A Reply Feature And Most Active Threads On Pages And Popular Profiles
- FB password-stealing virus emerges in Vietnam: BKAV
- Developing IC industry: better late than never
- Whole internet probed for insecure devices
- Vietnamese software win away games, lose home games
- PCs may lose pout to tablets, smart phones
- Hackers attack several BBC Twitter accounts
- Big ADSL service providers have advantages in IPTV race
- Global internet slows after 'biggest attack in history'
- Youngsters color their Facebook in red by the Vietnam flag
- China linked to South Korea hack attack
- Facebook releases 'home' software for Android phones
- Million dollar appeal on Kickstarter for Ultima sequel
- Press regulation: Internet concerns expressed
- Vietnamese searching website nurtures the dream of outrunning Google
- IT industry slowed by lack of skills
- MIC vows never to let big fish block small fish
- Open source software quality floated