Fishermen in southern An Giang Province caught a giant barb fish yesterday on the Hau River, a branch of the Mekong. According to local people, it was the largest fish of its kind ever caught in the region.
The 100kg fish was almost 1m long and 1.2m wide. The fishermen said that the fish was so heavy that they could not land it.
They added that they had caught giant barb fish in the past, but the largest weighed only 50-60kg.
The giant barb fish is the largest species of carp in the world. These migratory fish are found only in the Mae Klong, Mekong and Chao Phraya river basins. The fish is a popular delicacy but its numbers are in sharp decline. Only 10 fish were caught in 2000, according to the Mekong River Commission.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Chicago goes to war with Asian carp
» Woman catches $7,500 giant carp from Mekong River
» The giant fish in Vietnam
Latest Category Posts
- Oldest man in Vietnam recognized by nat’l records group
- The 4-legged chicken in Ha Tinh
- In Vietnam, residents have used underground water from cemetery for 20 years
- 500kg endangered ocean sunfish caught in Vietnam
- Worker survives after five days trapped in cold storage
- 104-year-old woman fights off thief
- Vietnamese woman delivers twins 30 days apart
- Bomb hoax delays Vietnam flight, joker fined $2,360
- Child survives 10km river ordeal by holding hyacinth
- Denture clasp spent 20 years in Vietnamese lung