Forty-three foreigners were arrested in HCM City last Friday after police launched simultaneous raids on four residences in different parts of the city, busting what they said was a hi-tech crime ring.
Lieutenant-colonel Nguyen Sy Quang, deputy head of HCM City Police's Administration Division, told reporters the same day that the 43 people from mainland China and Taiwan were arrested in raids on houses in Road D1 in District 12; 297A-299 Trinh Dinh Trong Street in Tan Phu District; 91 Ba Diem Apartment in Hoc Mon District; and 41 Road 28 in Binh Tan District.
The raids were carried out at 2.00pm after activities of the gang were tracked over several weeks, he said.The raids netted 17 laptops, 20 computers, 24 modem routers, 109 telephones, 35 handphones and 19 voice IPs as well as unspecified amounts of Vietnamese dong, US dollar, Chinese Yuan and Taiwanese currency.
The Chinese and Taiwanese nationals had entered Viet Nam as tourists, rented houses and registered for hi-speed internet services to perpetrate their hi-tech fraud, Quang said.
The gang members posed as Chinese authorities (such as police, procuracy and courts) to contact Chinese nationals from mainland China and cheat them into disclosing personal information including bank account details, and having the victims transfer their money to the swindlers' accounts.
Quang said most victims of the gang were Chinese from Guangdong Province.
According to an Interpol source, in recent months, Chinese and Taiwanese authorities have also busted swindling rings that used the similar schemes in their territories.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Two foreigners rescued off Nha Trang coast
» Simplifications needed to facilitate foreign visitors to Vietnam
» Professional thief arrested in Hai Phong
Latest Category Posts
- Wanted woman arrested in Ha Noi
- Vietnamese-American man faces jail term for resisting police
- Two former Vinalines leaders prosecuted for corruption
- Vietnam doctor arrested for forging prisoner’s HIV test
- Young man held for explosive threat at airport
- Former bank head faces death for fraud
- Lai Chau breaks up many drug trafficking rings
- Vietnamese expat arrested for extorting $45,000
- Bank staff detained for Phuong Nam loans
- Vietnam man gets life for sexual abuse of 10-year-old girl
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Hanoi police breaks online prostitution ring
- Dong Nai: Traffic policeman shoots two colleagues, one dead
- 3 death, 4 life sentences for drug, weapon smugglers
- Laotian caught with 2.4 kg of cocaine at airport
- Woman held for supplying prostitutes via firm’s website
- Organizers of prostitution via Internet seized
- Capt. killing superior charged with murder under provocation
- Huge drug bust in Bac Giang results in 10 arrests
- Twenty illegal air guns seized aboard ship
- Vietnam seizes two Aussies carrying 3.5kg of drugs
- Nigerian man gets 20 years for bringing drugs into VN
- U.S. visa seller Sestak’s Co-conspirator 1 seized
- Police seize 2 human traffickers, rescue 3 victims
- 2 directors arrested for motorboat sinking that killed 9
- Police bust internet gambling ring
- Shoddy overseas recruiter arrested in Ha Noi
- Russians held for stealing money using fake credit cards
- 3 held for rape, robbery after courting girls on Facebook
- Former Vinalines boss faces prosecution
- Trader of fake Japanese soy sauce held