The HIV/AIDS infection rate has fallen during the past three consecutive years, official statistics show.
Associate Professor and Deputy Director General of the Vietnam Authority of HIV/AIDS Control Bui Duc Duong said as of the Q1/2012, there had been some 201,134 HIV patients alive. The number of newly-detected cases was 1,065 fewer against the same period of 2011.
Vietnam has 57,733 AIDS carriers alive, down 760 cases. Some 61,579 cases reported death, a decrease of 214 against the same period last year.
The Authority however said the HIV infection rate among people aged 30-39 is rising, particularly among female group.
To improve the awareness of rural residents, communication programs have been accelerated. In Q1/2012, more than 5,200 propagandists conducted direct communication activities to help some 3.6 million rural residents know more about HIV/AIDS infection risks.
These propagandists also met and provided free-of-charge syringes to 50-60% of drug addicts and offered condoms to 40 -50% of the prostitutes.
At present, Vietnam houses 43 methadone treatment centers with over 9,500 patients and 308 facilities for HIV/AIDS treatment.
Associate Professor and Deputy Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long said his Ministry would step up drastic measures to secure the sustainability of HIV/AIDS fight.
Source: VGP News
|< Prev||Next >|
» Conference looks at new ways to tackle HIV/AIDS
» UNAIDS praises Vietnam’s achievements in fighting HIV/AIDS
» WB-funded HIV/AIDS prevention project summed up
Latest Category Posts
- Rejecting Quinvaxem a 'disaster' to vaccination program: Vietnamese doctor
- Vietnam successfully produces H1N1, H5N1 flu vaccines
- Nearly 12,000 children get support for heart surgery
- Man dies after antibiotic injection in Quang Ngai Province
- Liquor products that caused 5 deaths under recall
- Private health clinics flout regulations
- Successive drop in new cases of HIV in last four years
- Vitamin A tablets turn out to be beans
- VN to have 25,000 new breast cancer cases a year
- H7N9 cannot infect humans easily: study
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Vietnamese people shortest in Southeast Asia
- Immunisation safety imperative
- A big challenge to elderly care services
- HCMC to use insurance cards with bar codes next month
- The Vietnamese are shortest in the region
- Childhood obesity at alarming level in five major cities
- Public hospitals offer incentives to ease doctor shortage
- Doctors warn potential risks of milk powder sold in unmarked plastic bags
- Overweight and obese children in VN increase 9 times in 10 years
- Preschools struggle to cope with pinkeye
- Global bodies warn that milk substitutes put babies at risk
- Fish lunch poisons more than 200 workers
- Canadian researchers develop new tuberculosis vaccine to boost BCG efficacy
- Seminar promotes healthy eating, exercise in HCM City
- Rise in medical violations blamed on inept inspectors
- Thousands affected as eye disease rages across capital
- Stroke affecting ever younger people
- 200,000 Vietnamese suffer strokes per year, half die
- Online outreach scheme effective for men with HIV
- Vietnam to test imported baby milk for aluminum levels