After chasing a car for nearly 20 kilometers, police of the central province of Nghe An seized three frozen tiger bodies on May 28.
While patrolling on National Highway 1A at 2.30pm of May 28, a traffic police team of Nghe An province noticed a suspected car. They signaled for the driver to stop but he ignored the request and ran away.
Three police officers chased after the car on police motorcycles. After pursuing this car for nearly 20 kilometers, the police officers had to fire some bullets to demand the driver to stop.
When the car just stopped, a man closed the door and ran away into the nearby pine woods. The driver was arrested, with three dead tigers in his car.
The three frozen tiger carcasses weighed 300 kilograms in total inside the vehicle along with weapons and some fake car license plates.
The driver is Nguyen Dinh Hai, 23, from Ha Tinh Province. Hai said that he was hired by a man from his hometown to transport a package of wild boars to Quynh Luu District in Nghe An Province. He said he did not know the animals were tigers and this batch of goods was sold to a trader from Hanoi.
The police have handed over the dead tigers to the local forestation protection agency.
As few as 30 wild tigers survive in Vietnam, according to 2011 statistics released by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
Statistics from the Worldwide Fund for Nature said that 97 percent of the world's big cats had been lost in just over a century, and only 3,200 remain in the wild.
Tigers are facing risks of extinction as they are hunted down worldwide for their fur, bones and other parts for traditional Chinese medicine.
|< Prev||Next >|
Latest Category Posts
- Mobile police groups handle traffic violators based on images
- Woman sues cop for unlawful corset search
- Nationwide hunt for owner of Gucci-Milano store in HCMC
- Three questioned for making money on porn websites
- Four companies involved in transporting 229kg of heroin to Taiwan
- Liquor firm’s director held after 6 poisoning deaths
- Three men face prosecution for $72 bln treasure scam
- Woman arrested for performing plastic surgery at an inn
- Police rewarded after arresting drug trafficking ring leader
- Penalty on persons involved in looting beer from overturned truck
Random Category Picks
- Man who illegally raised wildlife honored as outstanding farmer
- Hanoi tax evader jailed for 28 months
- President urges compensation to miscarriage of justice victim
- City finds material for heroin production in Australia shipments
- Fine of up to $14.40 for ignoring smoking bans
- Authorities detain nearly 100 at HCM City bar
Popular Category Posts
- Regulations released for overseas workers
- Vietnam agrees to extradite 2 Russian criminals
- Vietnam deports Bulgarians who stole money from ATMs
- Foreigner-related regulations take effect in Jan-Oct
- New policies take effect in October
- Japanese man reports being assaulted at backpacker hotel
- Life-sentence prisoner on parole after 10 years claiming innocence
- Two tonnes of elephant tusks seized
- Police seize plant growth stimulants
- New clue found in $72,000 lottery lawsuit
- Chinese tourist fined for bringing wrong maps into Vietnam
- Man arrested in bogus labor export scam
- Police arrest suspected killers of wild elephants
- Online gamers banned from playing over 3 hours a day
- Airborne drug traffickers apply vivid imagination
- 13-year-old girl colludes with boyfriend to extort mother
- Hanoi called on to boost crime prevention
- Vietnam relic fire suspects work for government: police
- Couple arrested for selling five women to Chinese brothels
- Scammers bait victims with cheap plane tickets