Three men, one of whom graduated from college with the highest honors, likely will face prosecution in Hanoi for selling forged university diplomas.
Fake diplomas (for illustration only), Photo: Tuoi Tre
Police have recommended city attorneys bring charges of selling diplomas and counterfeiting against Vu Dinh Quyen, 29, of Thanh Hoa Province, Dao Anh Tuan, 28, of Thai Binh Province, and Nguyen Dang Duc, 25, of Hanoi.
Following a citizen tip, police arrested the three men, former students at the Hanoi University of Science and Technology, after three months of investigation.
At a cafe on June 20, law enforcement caught Quyen handing a fake economics degree from the Foreign Trade University to Nguyen Van B., 29, of the capital’s Dong Da District.
To produce the diplomas, Quyen later confessed to police he had hired a young man identified as Quang, who remains at large. He also enlisted Tuan to counterfeit those degrees, at VND8 million (US$383) per Ph.D and VND6.5 million per master’s. They sold for VND15 million and VND12 million, respectively.
Based on Tuan’s testimony, police then arrested Duc on suspicion of producing false degrees. They seized many diplomas at Tuan’s house, while Quyen said he sold roughly 20 in all.
|< Prev||Next >|
» An Giang: over 40 officials detected in using fake diplomas
» Fake degrees become a real problem
Latest Category Posts
- Boats seized for stealing sand in southern province
- A British botanist reported missing in Sa Pa
- Mobile police groups handle traffic violators based on images
- Woman sues cop for unlawful corset search
- Nationwide hunt for owner of Gucci-Milano store in HCMC
- Three questioned for making money on porn websites
- Four companies involved in transporting 229kg of heroin to Taiwan
- Liquor firm’s director held after 6 poisoning deaths
- Three men face prosecution for $72 bln treasure scam
- Woman arrested for performing plastic surgery at an inn
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Regulations released for overseas workers
- Vietnam agrees to extradite 2 Russian criminals
- Vietnam deports Bulgarians who stole money from ATMs
- Foreigner-related regulations take effect in Jan-Oct
- New policies take effect in October
- Japanese man reports being assaulted at backpacker hotel
- Life-sentence prisoner on parole after 10 years claiming innocence
- Two tonnes of elephant tusks seized
- Police seize plant growth stimulants
- New clue found in $72,000 lottery lawsuit
- Chinese tourist fined for bringing wrong maps into Vietnam
- Man arrested in bogus labor export scam
- Police arrest suspected killers of wild elephants
- Online gamers banned from playing over 3 hours a day
- Airborne drug traffickers apply vivid imagination
- 13-year-old girl colludes with boyfriend to extort mother
- Hanoi called on to boost crime prevention
- Vietnam relic fire suspects work for government: police
- Couple arrested for selling five women to Chinese brothels
- Man accused of stealing from poor