Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung has asked the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to with relevant ministries and agencies to establish a national Green Climate Fund.
The Fund is aimed at facilitating future financial flow from the Global Climate Fund into Vietnam.
The Global Climate Fund was first approved at COP 16 in Cancun, Mexico, and formally established in Durban, South Africa, to channel aid to developing nations to adapt to climate change. It is expected to raise US$100 billion a year by 2020, to which all developing countries will have equal access.
Currently, development aid for climate change and the environment in Vietnam comes from the Adaptation Fund, Climate Investment Fund, Global Environment Fund and the Clean Development Mechanism.
PM Dung has subsequently called for a report on the operation of these funds and their efficiency.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Pollution blitz on craft villages, industries key to new strategy
» Efforts made to shake off Agent Orange hangover
» Vietnam still doesn’t have national standards on hydropower plants
Latest Category Posts
- Dam work begins on Trung Son hydroelectric project
- Germany funds Vietnamese biodiversity preservation
- Company closed for dumping waste
- Dak Nong authorities want to chase-off wild elephants
- Tough fine follows red-mud spill
- Vietnam pledges to build maritime reserves
- Soc Trang benefits from mangrove forest project
- Nation faces energy, water resources challenges
- Pollution threatens Nha Trang Bay
- Farmers kill rare wolves to protect livestock
Popular Category Posts
- Climate change threatens agricultural development
- Central region faces serious flooding consequences
- MoIT asked to rethink hydro-power plants
- Authorities' ability questioned after toxic waste case
- Warmer oceans may up mercury levels in fish: study
- Natural forests disappear, rubber growing areas arise
- In pictures: Hundreds protest sand dredging, which causes coastal erosion
- High-school students make environment-friendly soap
- HCMC hospital installs water treatment system
- Seminar discusses coastal area climate change adaptation
- Government sniffing out sub-standard hydro projects
- Scientists call for urgent actions to rescue dipterocarp forests
- VN invests in waste treatment
- Delta builds water treatment plants
- Vietnam pays dearly for loosened mining management
- People destroy elephants’ house in central region
- Vietnam repeats “hydropower mistake” with oil refineries?
- PM decided to rescue Cat Tien national park
- Central provinces pay heavy price for rubber development
- Knowledge key to climate battle