|1. Crunchy Frog|
City: Ha Noi
|2. Hue - Hapro TIC|
Category: Travel Agents
|3. Hi-Way Construction &...|
Category: Architectural Services
City: Ho Chi Minh
|4. Checkin Vietnam|
Category: Travel Agents
|5. Micro Precision...|
City: Ho Chi Minh
|6. White Dolphin Cruise|
Category: Tour Operators
Many university students often pirate their essays and theses from other sources. Khoa hoc and Doi song (Science and Life) newspaper spoke to lecturers and students about the problem.
* Professor Nguyen Minh Thuyet, Vice Chairman of the National Assembly Committee on Culture, Education, Youth and Children
In my opinion, one of the reasons leading to plagiarism in our universities is that supervisors are failing to follow procedures. I myself have attended a number of thesis defence and thought that criticism and arguments made by members of the council were weak. I felt that their analysis followed a certain formula and they failed to detect "copies" of other authors by students. Relevant authorities should take tough measures to prevent such bad practice.
In my opinion to solve this problem, the Ministry of Education and Training needs strong co-operation from academic institutes, universities, faculties and supervisors. In addition, security agencies should be involved in order to deter and prevent students from committing fraud.
* Professor Dr Tran Ngoc Vuong, a lecturer from the University of Social Science and Humanity
Copying other people's work is not acceptable.
In my opinion, supervisors, students, faculties, universities and research institutes are all to blame for such rampant violations.
It will not be easy to put a cap on the problem as we don't have any specific agency assigned to the task or money to monitor such activities.
* Dr Tran Khanh Thanh, Vice Dean of the Post Graduate Faculty of the Ha Noi National University
We strongly condemn students who copy other students' work without references. In my faculty, any post graduate student who is found copying other students or hiring other people to do their work for them will be barred from defending their graduate thesis. If they use quotes, they have to cite their sources. We uphold honesty in education, particularly those who sit on the defence council.
* Nguyen Hung Vy, a lecturer from the University of Social Science and Humanity
Copying ideas from other people is an act that must be condemned. It's an indication of ethical deterioration among students and poor supervision.
We should do away with the thinking that higher education degrees are the pass to better positions in society rather than better careers.
* Professor Nguyen Quang Ninh, former lecturer of the Ha Noi University of Education
If we compiled a data bank, the copying of essays or thesis will be easier to control. We will even be able to detect any act of plagiarising by the students.
Violations detected must be duly punished. It is high time for us to take action.
Pham Nguyen Nguyen, student from the Ha Noi University of Education
I don't think that the sale of other students' essays and thesis is a bad idea. In my opinion, they offer a good source of information for students to refer to.
But I'm strongly against any act of copying ideas from other people without citing sources.
* Quach Thi Dung, student from the Institute of Journalism and Communication
Most essays and theses available in photocopy shops around universities and colleges are inauthentic. The shop owners make spare copies to sell to other students. Every year, thousands of students have to write essays and theses so photocopy shops possess a large data base.
I propose that authorised agencies just go to those shops and check their computers and if they find any violations – take action.
|< Prev||Next >|
» France's top rabbi Gilles Bernheim quits in plagiarism row
» Non-fiction book plagiarism gets more problematic in Vietnam
» Workshop on a revolutionist shows the “plagiarism disaster” in Vietnam
Latest Category Posts
- When will Vietnam’s mathematics go beyond the “ivory tower?”
- Vietnamese urban children get “westernized”
- Love for mathematics exists no longer among Vietnamese students?
- What educational policy for the Mekong Delta
- People and historians call for renovating teaching method
- Vietnamese students’ achievements go downhill at int’l Olympiads
- Low incomes force teachers leave their schools
- Demand for forged degrees boom in HCM City
- Students lack confidence to use English
- Career centers redundant in HCMC