The Vietnamese team was presented with the first prize of the electrical and mechanical category at the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) 2012, held in the US.
Three Vietnamese students won first prize in the materials and bioengineering category
Three students, from Hanoi - Amsterdam High School for the Gifted, were awarded with the USD3,000 grand prize by Intel. They were Tran Bach Trung, Bui Thi Quynh Trang and Vu Anh Vinh.
The award ceremony was held on the evening of May 18.
That same morning, they did not win any special prizes at the fair, giving way to American competitors.
Trung, a member of the Vietnamese team, said he planned to use the prize money to finance future research projects.
Other members said they were very surprised and happy with the results, which made all the hard work worthwhile.
Nguyen Thi Thu Hoai, a specialist from the Hanoi municipal Department of Education and Training, who accompanied the Vietnamese team at ISEF 2012, said, “This is the first time that a Vietnamese team won a prize at the event, one of the most prestigious in the world. To win first prize came as a shock to us."
Nhiem Nguyen, a member of the panel of judges, said, “The research by Vietnamese students is simple but very innovative, low cost but could bring great impact on the area that they live."
After winning three special awards, Vietnamese American Vu Mai Anh was also presented with the fourth place prize in the chemistry category. Kevin Anh Nguyen was awarded second prize in the same category.
Vanna Nga Hovanky won the fourth prize in the category of medicine.
Vietnamese students (in front) at the awarding ceremony
|< Prev||Next >|
» Da Nang, Ha Noi win robotics competition
» Viet Nam tops world flute contest in China
» HCM City to host int’l track and field tournament
Latest Category Posts
- Vietnamese student wins Victoria International Education Awards
- Vietnamese students win medals at Int’l Mathematical Olympiad
- The extraordinary child prodigies in Vietnam
- Scientist chooses hometown over high pay
- Vietnamese students win fourth prizes at Intel ISEF 2013
- VN student wins Gates Millennium grant
- Winners of UPU letter writing contest honoured
- Vietnam wins two golds at Asian Physics Olympiad
- Vietnam shines at inventors’ contest in Malaysia
- Four Vietnamese young talents honored by int'l “technological circle”