“The deepening and widening of connectivity in the region would reinforce ASEAN’s position as the hub of East Asia,” reported Indonesia ’s Jakarta Post.
In an article on October 25 released before the 17 th ASEAN Summit in Hanoi , the Jakarta Post said that the leaders of the 10 ASEAN member countries will discuss new plans to enhance ties and upgrade the blocs infrastructure to allow the group to increase its competitiveness.
The master plan for ASEAN Connectivity would focus on the region’s long-term strategy to improve the blocs infrastructure, institutions and people-to-people relations, said the paper.
The master plan includes strategies to enhance roads, railways, maritime transport and air links between ASEAN members to reduce economic disparities in the region and help ASEAN achieve its goal of becoming an economic community by 2015.
The Jakarta Post cited the Indonesian Foreign Ministry’s Secretary-General for ASEAN, Djauhari Oratmangun, as saying that the plan calls for more effort to improve links in the region, including transport, institutions, trade and investment liberalisation as well as tourism and education.
According to the newspaper, experts have praised the plan, saying that it is necessary to improve economic integration and allow the region to compete with rising economic giants.
The Executive Director of the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Jakarta , Rizal Sukma, said that by enhancing links within the bloc, investors would see the grouping of 560 million people as one united market rather than as a number of separate countries.
|< Prev||Next >|
Latest Category Posts
- Deputy PM welcomes new Brunei ambassador
- EC President to visit Vietnam in late August
- Violating firms could face criminal charges
- Lao leaders pledge to promote ‘special ties' during visit to VN
- Military told to target smugglers
- President leads tribute to war hero who stood up to colonialism
- NA Vice Chairwoman receives UAE ambassador
- Viet Nam to deepen ties with Mexico
- Viet Nam wishes for closer links with Netherlands
- Viet Nam aims to foster bonds with Cambodia
Popular Category Posts
- 3 Vietnamese among dead on Malaysia Airlines flight MH17
- Passenger opens emergency door, 23 people miss flight
- 19 soldiers died in Hanoi helicopter crash
- Chinese drilling rig pulled out of Vietnam's waters
- Ambassador opposes Chinese diplomat's view on East Sea issue
- Invalids and Martyrs remembered nationwide
- Rammasun claims five lives, two missing
- VN mulls legal action on East Sea
- VN, Laos foster inspection cooperation
- Viet Nam, Laos agree to step up legal, judicial co-operation
- Landslide in Hai Phong buries quarry, five dead
- Vietnam asks China to clarify arrest of six fishermen
- Fire destroys 20 houses in Central Highlands
- President advises Da Nang to strengthen maritime economy
- Keep up pressure on China: President
- Explanation sought for fishing boat arrests
- Int'l experts urge ASEAN unity to settle sea disputes
- Experts call for legal action against China
- VN asks UN for East Sea support
- Workplace accident kills two in Vung Ang