“The deepening and widening of connectivity in the region would reinforce ASEAN’s position as the hub of East Asia,” reported Indonesia ’s Jakarta Post.
In an article on October 25 released before the 17 th ASEAN Summit in Hanoi , the Jakarta Post said that the leaders of the 10 ASEAN member countries will discuss new plans to enhance ties and upgrade the blocs infrastructure to allow the group to increase its competitiveness.
The master plan for ASEAN Connectivity would focus on the region’s long-term strategy to improve the blocs infrastructure, institutions and people-to-people relations, said the paper.
The master plan includes strategies to enhance roads, railways, maritime transport and air links between ASEAN members to reduce economic disparities in the region and help ASEAN achieve its goal of becoming an economic community by 2015.
The Jakarta Post cited the Indonesian Foreign Ministry’s Secretary-General for ASEAN, Djauhari Oratmangun, as saying that the plan calls for more effort to improve links in the region, including transport, institutions, trade and investment liberalisation as well as tourism and education.
According to the newspaper, experts have praised the plan, saying that it is necessary to improve economic integration and allow the region to compete with rising economic giants.
The Executive Director of the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Jakarta , Rizal Sukma, said that by enhancing links within the bloc, investors would see the grouping of 560 million people as one united market rather than as a number of separate countries.
|< Prev||Next >|
Latest Category Posts
- Massive parade marks 70 years of independence
- HCM City: Fabric company blaze in photos
- Fishermen still missing in Binh Thuan province
- NA Chairman meets World Bank Director ahead of US visit
- Ferrari worth $750,000 damaged in crash in HCMC
- Two die in Dien Bien flooding
- Gas cylinder explodes aboard a ship
- Last victim in coalmine accident in northern Vietnam still missing, two days on
- Indonesia sinks VN fishing boats
- Man killed in flash floods after heavy rain in Son La
Popular Category Posts
- Child urinates in airplane's sick bag, parents fined
- Storm Kujira causes severe human and property losses
- Snakes appear throughout HCM City
- Son La Border Guards seize heroin shipment
- US bomber's wreckage found off Quang Tri
- 22 killed in floods over seven days in northern Vietnam
- HCM City flyover suffers more damage
- Worker falls to death from HCM City building
- 7 dead, 4 missing as typhoon Kujira hits northern Vietnam
- Fire destroys three houses in An Giang
- Party official dies mysteriously in central Vietnam
- Houses destroyed in landslide on Sai Gon River
- Vietnam’s four ‘black holes in the ocean’ subs
- Bac Giang police seize 3,000 poultry birds
- One Quang Nam person tests positive for diphtheria
- Fishermen rescued off Ha Tinh Province
- Illegal sand mining affects River Cua Luc's ecology
- Six workers injured as scaffolding collapses
- Fire destroys storehouse in Dong Nai IZ
- Nearly 200 sets of human remains found under Hanoi pavement