“The deepening and widening of connectivity in the region would reinforce ASEAN’s position as the hub of East Asia,” reported Indonesia ’s Jakarta Post.
In an article on October 25 released before the 17 th ASEAN Summit in Hanoi , the Jakarta Post said that the leaders of the 10 ASEAN member countries will discuss new plans to enhance ties and upgrade the blocs infrastructure to allow the group to increase its competitiveness.
The master plan for ASEAN Connectivity would focus on the region’s long-term strategy to improve the blocs infrastructure, institutions and people-to-people relations, said the paper.
The master plan includes strategies to enhance roads, railways, maritime transport and air links between ASEAN members to reduce economic disparities in the region and help ASEAN achieve its goal of becoming an economic community by 2015.
The Jakarta Post cited the Indonesian Foreign Ministry’s Secretary-General for ASEAN, Djauhari Oratmangun, as saying that the plan calls for more effort to improve links in the region, including transport, institutions, trade and investment liberalisation as well as tourism and education.
According to the newspaper, experts have praised the plan, saying that it is necessary to improve economic integration and allow the region to compete with rising economic giants.
The Executive Director of the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Jakarta , Rizal Sukma, said that by enhancing links within the bloc, investors would see the grouping of 560 million people as one united market rather than as a number of separate countries.
|< Prev||Next >|
Latest Category Posts
- President promotes two officials to rank of general
- Fishermen still missing in Binh Dinh Province
- Fire destroys workshop in HCM City
- Typhoon Dujuan affects Vietnam Airlines flights
- Three die in flash flood at Sakai waterfall
- River Da water pipe breaks again
- Two dead in five-vehicle Long An pile-up
- Passenger opens plane's emergency door, causes flight delay
- VN students injured in US bus crash
- Ship discovered transporting rifles
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Bridge's height barrier falls, kills biker
- Child urinates in airplane's sick bag, parents fined
- 8 injured as bus crashes into motorbikes on HCMC overpass
- ‘Beggars’ mug motorbike drivers at Ho Chi Minh City petrol stations
- Midnight rain causes flood in HCM City
- Man dies in blast
- Binh Thuan fishing boat explodes, fisherman still missing
- 22 killed in floods over seven days in northern Vietnam
- HCM City flyover suffers more damage
- Four members of family killed in house fire
- Ho Chi Minh City becomes large ‘river’ after heaviest rain this year
- Worker falls to death from HCM City building
- Bac Giang police seize 3,000 poultry birds
- Fishermen still missing in Binh Thuan province
- Image: Hanoi closes streets after heavy rains
- Midnight blaze destroys wholesale market in Hue
- Fire occurs in Linh Dam residential quarter
- Two die in Dien Bien flooding
- Flood sweeps away a bridge and 2 locals in Thanh Hoa
- Man killed in flash floods after heavy rain in Son La