“The deepening and widening of connectivity in the region would reinforce ASEAN’s position as the hub of East Asia,” reported Indonesia ’s Jakarta Post.
In an article on October 25 released before the 17 th ASEAN Summit in Hanoi , the Jakarta Post said that the leaders of the 10 ASEAN member countries will discuss new plans to enhance ties and upgrade the blocs infrastructure to allow the group to increase its competitiveness.
The master plan for ASEAN Connectivity would focus on the region’s long-term strategy to improve the blocs infrastructure, institutions and people-to-people relations, said the paper.
The master plan includes strategies to enhance roads, railways, maritime transport and air links between ASEAN members to reduce economic disparities in the region and help ASEAN achieve its goal of becoming an economic community by 2015.
The Jakarta Post cited the Indonesian Foreign Ministry’s Secretary-General for ASEAN, Djauhari Oratmangun, as saying that the plan calls for more effort to improve links in the region, including transport, institutions, trade and investment liberalisation as well as tourism and education.
According to the newspaper, experts have praised the plan, saying that it is necessary to improve economic integration and allow the region to compete with rising economic giants.
The Executive Director of the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Jakarta , Rizal Sukma, said that by enhancing links within the bloc, investors would see the grouping of 560 million people as one united market rather than as a number of separate countries.
|< Prev||Next >|
Latest Category Posts
- PM sees new options for Japan firms
- 3 sisters drown in central Vietnam pond
- Forum suggests changes to corruption crime laws
- Shrimps die en masse in Soc Trang
- Houses destroyed in landslide on Sai Gon River
- Authorities race to extinguish Nghe An forest fire
- Three-month-old dies after vaccination
- Snakes appear throughout HCM City
- Fire destroys storehouse in Dong Nai IZ
- Mass fish deaths in river spark concern
Popular Category Posts
- 30 April 1975 Victory – symbol of solidarity and strength
- Viet Nam marks 40th anniversary of great victory, reunification
- Soldiers' remains brought back home
- Rock crushes 2 to death in Ha Giang
- Festival ritual causes forest fires in Cao Bang
- One person dies in Tay Ninh truck accident
- 2 pilots feared dead in fighter jet crash off central Vietnam: official
- Vietnamese tourist, son die in Pattaya holiday, cause unknown
- Market watch arrests man for transporting smuggled cigarettes
- One of 2 pilots missing in Vietnam military air crash found
- Unexploded bombs found in garden in Quang Tri
- Gas explosion kills one person in Binh Duong
- Forced to work without lights, 600 workers go on strike in Hai Phong
- More than 300 workers hospitalized after food poisoning
- 300kg bomb defused in Nghe An
- HCM City puts security cameras along popular walking street
- Saboteurs destroy thousands of rubber plants
- Lam Dong hit by hailstorms
- President congratulates Vietnamese navy on 60th anniversary
- Debris of fighter jets found off central Vietnam as pilots still unaccounted for