Heavy rains in the last three days in the central region have left four people dead, hundreds of houses destroyed, and the region submerged under water, according to local authorities.
Illustration photo. Internet
Three of the victims were in Khanh Hoa and the other in Phu Yen, the two most-affected provinces where some streets are under two meters of water.
Major roads leading to Nha Trang, like Hung Vuong, Dien Bien Phu, Biet Thu, October 23 and April 2, are all flooded, leaving thousands of motorbikes and cars stranded and completely blocking traffic.
In Khanh Hoa 47 houses had collapsed by late Sunday while around 600 hectares of standing crops have been destroyed.
In Phu Yen, 500 houses are uninhabitable since they are under a meter of water.
Authorities and rescue workers are helping residents in vulnerable areas move to safety.
There has been 50-100 mm of rain in the region and the southern hydrometeorology center has forecast the same volume to fall in the next few days.
Provinces along the coast from Quang Nam to Binh Thuan are expected to experience winds of up to 60kph, foggy weather, and mudslides in mountainous regions.
Provinces further south, especially in the Mekong Delta, could also experience strong winds and rough seas of three to five meters high, according to the center.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Floodwaters continue to isolate Phu Yen, Binh Dinh Provinces
» Flash floods cause huge damage
» Fresh flood claims five lives in Thua Thien-Hue
Latest Category Posts
- Party chief calls for greater support from the elderly
- Vietnam pursues policy to protect human rights
- President signs order to implement newly revised Constitution
- PM says maintaining economic stability crucial for HCM City
- Philippines keen to bolster ties with Viet Nam
- Vietnam, Spain speed up defence cooperation
- Viet Nam reviews human rights laws
- Viet Nam, Laos, Cambodia strengthen Front work
- ASEAN Community looks to coming years
- Deputy PM visits Canada to seek stronger co-operation
Popular Category Posts
- Typhoon Nari devastates central Vietnam
- State funeral to be held for General Giap
- Thousands of people march on street with pregnant woman’s coffin
- China, VN build Friendship Palace
- 3 Vietnamese expats among 49 killed in Laos plane crash
- Deputy PM greets China–Vietnam Association Chairman
- Party Plenum opens in Ha Noi
- Deputy PM praises elderly role models for development drive
- General Vo Nguyen Giap leaves Hanoi in people's tears
- Revised law eyes better environment for bidding
- Foreign ship in distress near Ly Son Island
- Thousands of people pray at General Vo Nguyen Giap’s grave
- Death toll in firework warehouse explosion in Phu Tho rises to 24
- People's Air Force marks fifth decade
- ASEAN leaders approve documents that put forward ambitious visions
- VN helps to unite ASEAN community
- Locals duped by power plant promises
- China, Viet Nam agree to take strategic partnership to next level
- Phu Tho: At least 15 people died in firework warehouse explosion
- Oil co-operation with Gazprom zooms ahead