|1. CEMC JSC.|
City: Da Nang
|2. PhuViet Group -...|
City: Ho Chi Minh
|3. Tan Long Property|
Category: Estate Agents
City: Ha Noi
|4. Hanoi Sky Travel /...|
Category: Tour Operators
City: Ha Noi
|5. The Nam Hai Hotel|
Category: Hotels & Resort
City: Hoi An
|6. Halong Cruise Tours...|
Category: Tour Operators
City: Ha Noi
Professor Ngo Bao Chau, the renowned Vietnamese mathematician, who has won the Field Medal, has received an apartment worth 12 billion dong ($600,000) from the government.
According to the government’s website, on November 2, Deputy Prime Minister Nguyen Thien Nhan and Deputy Minister of Education and Training Tran Quang Quy visited Professor Ngo Bao Chau and his family at the apartment awarded to him by the government.
The apartment has an area of 160 square meters at Vincom B building in Hai Ba Trung District in Hanoi
The professor and his family members have moved to the new apartment since early November 2010. The expenses incurred while living in the apartment will be paid by Chau and his family.
Several days ago, as VietNamNet reported, in a meeting with Professor Chau at his home on the occasion of his returning to Vietnam, Deputy Prime Minister Nguyen Thien Nhan told him that the government wished to give the professor an apartment, where the professor will live and work when he returns to Vietnam.
The Deputy Prime Minister said that this is the first time the government has decided to purchase a house with the state budget and give it to a scientist for long term use. This reflects the government’s interest on the respectable professor and recognition of the important contributions made by Professor Chau to the development of Vietnamese sciences.
On behalf of his family, Professor Ngo Bao Chau expressed his joy and honor to receive the modern and comfortable apartment from the government. When talking with the Deputy Prime Minister and Deputy Minister of Education and Training, Professor Ngo Bao Chau said he highly appreciates the government’s decision to expedite the establishment of the high grade mathematics institute in Vietnam.
Professor Ngo Bao Chau has accepted the invitation by Chicago University in the U.S to work as the university’s professor, and he will work there nine months a year. During the remaining three months, Professor Ngo Bao Chau will return to Vietnam to work as the head of the mathematics institute and will join other scientific research activities in order to help advance Vietnam’s mathematics.
The Fields Medal will encourage more people to devote themselves to scientific research and Fields Medal winners will have more important voice among scientists and government officials. Therefore, Vietnamese scientists hope that Professor Ngo Bao Chau winning the Fields Medal will serve as a catalyst to help Vietnamese sciences develop.
On October 12, Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung chaired a Government’s meeting, where the establishment of a high grade mathematics institute was on the top agenda.
Prior to that, in a meeting with Vietnamese President Nguyen Minh Triet on September 1, Professor Ngo Bao Chau said that in order to develop sciences, it is necessary to create a good learning environment to attract talent. Besides, it is necessary to apply a special incentives to encourage people to do scientific research.
After Professor Ngo Bao Chau won the Fields Medal in August, a statue in honor of Ngo Bao Chau was set up in the southern province of Binh Duong, though local residents do not have any personal relations with the professor.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Quang Nam draws tourism investment
» Minh holds on to world ranking
» Provinces hit magical export mark
Latest Category Posts
- Lao northern provinces hope to expand cooperation with Vietnam
- Public Security Minister meets with Japanese envoys
- PM calls for veterans to uphold political will
- CPV delegation visits Ukraine to foster ties
- NA deputies continue debating laws
- Vietnam attaches importance to developing ties with China
- VN’s book on cooperation in territorial waters launched
- French amphibious assault vessel visits Vietnam
- Nghe An: Digging a well, discovering giant fossil bones
- Russians talk up trade in Far East
Popular Category Posts
- Party Central Committee's 7th conference closes
- HCM City marks liberation day
- Anti-Corruption Initiative Program to kick off in November
- Cambodian officials graduate from Vietnamese language course
- Viet Nam, Cambodia reinforce maritime security cooperation
- Leader praises strong growth in Quang Ninh
- PM attends ASEAN Summit
- ASEAN bonding key to prosperity
- Quang Ngai commemorates Hoang Sa sailors
- Vietnam steps up temperature checks to fight new bird flu threat
- Smuggled poultry raises threat of H7N9 virus
- PM inspects submarine testing progress in Russia
- Legislators cut enterprise income tax
- Gov’t commits to efficient use of loans
- National Assembly eyes State role in land law
- Economic co-operation with Belarus delights
- Party General Secretary eyes expanded co-operation with Brazilian communists
- Party delegation visits Myanmar, Thailand, Sri Lanka
- Viet Nam, Thailand increase defence co-operation
- President Sang thanks Kansai firms for support