While building the foundation of a house in an alley in Tan Binh district, HCM City in the morning of April 17, builders unveiled two big bombs.
The two bombs laid parallel, around 30cm under the foundation. Each of them is 1.3m long, 40cm in diameter and around 300kg in weight.
The alley was blocked. HCM City’s sappers were summoned to deal with the bombs. By 5pm of the same day, the two bombs were safely removed.
“We do not know the type of the bombs but they were manufactured by the US during the wartime,” a sapper named Tran Thanh Liem says.
In the past, this area was a cemetery. This is the house of Ms. Nguyen Thi Ngat, 52. The house was very old so Ngat demolished it to build a new one. The bombs were excavated when builders dug the foundation.
“My family has lived together with these bombs for tens of years. It is lucky that they were discovered and removed safely,” she says.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Rubber poses risk to forest areas
» One-week term transactions overwhelm interbank market
» Ministries unite to track down overloaded trucks
Latest Category Posts
- PM seeks more Japanese business support
- Vietnam pursues policy to protect human rights
- President signs order to implement newly revised Constitution
- PM says maintaining economic stability crucial for HCM City
- Philippines keen to bolster ties with Viet Nam
- Vietnam, Spain speed up defence cooperation
- Viet Nam reviews human rights laws
- Viet Nam, Laos, Cambodia strengthen Front work
- ASEAN Community looks to coming years
- Deputy PM visits Canada to seek stronger co-operation
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Typhoon Nari devastates central Vietnam
- State funeral to be held for General Giap
- Thousands of people march on street with pregnant woman’s coffin
- China, VN build Friendship Palace
- 3 Vietnamese expats among 49 killed in Laos plane crash
- Deputy PM greets China–Vietnam Association Chairman
- Party Plenum opens in Ha Noi
- Deputy PM praises elderly role models for development drive
- General Vo Nguyen Giap leaves Hanoi in people's tears
- Revised law eyes better environment for bidding
- Foreign ship in distress near Ly Son Island
- Thousands of people pray at General Vo Nguyen Giap’s grave
- Death toll in firework warehouse explosion in Phu Tho rises to 24
- People's Air Force marks fifth decade
- ASEAN leaders approve documents that put forward ambitious visions
- VN helps to unite ASEAN community
- Locals duped by power plant promises
- China, Viet Nam agree to take strategic partnership to next level
- Phu Tho: At least 15 people died in firework warehouse explosion
- Oil co-operation with Gazprom zooms ahead