An ivory feng shui compass dating back to the end of the 19th-early 20th century has been discovered in the central province of Ha Tinh, according to the provincial Culture, Sports and Tourism Department.
The handmade compass measures 10cm in diameter and is 1.5cm thick. It has been handed down through generations of the family of a local man named Phan Le Sy, who lives in the province's Huong Khe District.
The main face of the compass is covered in circles surrounded by varying numbers of Han (Chinese script) characters.
Local scientists said the compass was used for geomancy, a type of divination.
Most compasses of that era were made from wood, which makes this find particularly special, they added.
Source: Tuoi Tre
|< Prev||Next >|
Latest Category Posts
- Repatriation of US servicemen’s remains held in Da Nang
- Photo contest illuminates EVN’s devotion to country
- Hanoi tax evader jailed for 28 months
- Vietnam ensures highest implementation of human rights
- HCMC strives to reduce number of poor households
- City intensifies supervision of goods supply, price for Tet
- Customers, gas suppliers worry over gas price hike
- Can Tho hopes for future new technology centre
- Vietnam imports 1.2 million tons of milk annually
- Big travel companies sell out coach tickets for Tet holidays
Popular Category Posts
- Secondary school students join wildlife protection programme
- Vietnam’s population hits 90 million
- Vietnamese border guards rescue 19 Cambodians in flood
- US and Vietnamese authorities, businesses to share best practices in airport operations
- Super typhoon makes landfall in central Vietnam
- Newborn baby ineligibly named board chairman
- HCM City to inspect 25 state-owned firms
- Ha Noi trade hotspots inspected for fire risk
- Are dog thieves to blame for fatal vigilante attacks?
- Rotary presents wheelchairs for children with disability
- General Vo Nguyen Giap's funeral in Quang Binh
- Foreigners praise General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Vietnam mourns General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Japanese teacher’s body kept in hospital in HCMC
- Finance ministry’s salary cut proposal faces government opposition
- Government moves to strengthen child adoption practices
- City families shifted for embankment works
- Vietnam to restructure agriculture and profit farmers: Minister
- In pictures: People pay tribute to General Giap outside funeral home
- NA Chairman calls for agriculture boost