Representatives from non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and local population officers have gathered in the northern province of Hoa Binh to share their visions on addressing gender imbalance at birth in Vietnam .
At a workshop jointly held by the General Department of Population and Family Planning and the UN Population Fund in Vietnam from November 3-4, the participants discussed pathways, plans and activities to solve the problem.
They also analysed the increasing sex ratio at birth and socio-cultural factors that affect the gender imbalance in the country.
Vietnam ’s sex ratio at birth has rapidly increased in recent years from 105 boys per 100 girls in 1979 to 110.5 boys per 100 girls in 2009, making it one of the few countries in the world seeing a high gender imbalance at birth.
If there are no positive measures, the gender imbalance will cause serious social implications, especially for future generations, the delegates said.
Over the past years, Vietnam has taken a lot of measures to control the gender imbalance, including the implementation of the “interventions to minimise the gender imbalance at birth” project in 18 provinces and cities where the sex ratio at birth is 110 boys per 100 girls upwards.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Vietnam, Brunei navies establish hotline
» Vietnam, Laos promote education cooperation
» Deputy PM welcomes Thai official in Hanoi
Latest Category Posts
- Repatriation of US servicemen’s remains held in Da Nang
- Photo contest illuminates EVN’s devotion to country
- Hanoi tax evader jailed for 28 months
- Vietnam ensures highest implementation of human rights
- HCMC strives to reduce number of poor households
- City intensifies supervision of goods supply, price for Tet
- Customers, gas suppliers worry over gas price hike
- Can Tho hopes for future new technology centre
- Vietnam imports 1.2 million tons of milk annually
- Big travel companies sell out coach tickets for Tet holidays
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Secondary school students join wildlife protection programme
- Vietnam’s population hits 90 million
- Vietnamese border guards rescue 19 Cambodians in flood
- US and Vietnamese authorities, businesses to share best practices in airport operations
- Super typhoon makes landfall in central Vietnam
- Newborn baby ineligibly named board chairman
- HCM City to inspect 25 state-owned firms
- Ha Noi trade hotspots inspected for fire risk
- Are dog thieves to blame for fatal vigilante attacks?
- Rotary presents wheelchairs for children with disability
- General Vo Nguyen Giap's funeral in Quang Binh
- Foreigners praise General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Vietnam mourns General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Japanese teacher’s body kept in hospital in HCMC
- Finance ministry’s salary cut proposal faces government opposition
- Government moves to strengthen child adoption practices
- City families shifted for embankment works
- Vietnam to restructure agriculture and profit farmers: Minister
- In pictures: People pay tribute to General Giap outside funeral home
- NA Chairman calls for agriculture boost