The number of people addicted to drugs is slowly reducing, but drug trafficking is on the increase, this was the estimation from the National Committee on AIDS, Drugs and Prostitution, which was held at a ceremony in Hanoi on Friday.
The ceremony was held in order to review the ‘fight on drugs’ over the last ten years.
Since 2007, the number of drug addicts has dropped to 146,000 people nationalwide. Most of them are unemployed and have left school at an early age.
However, younger addicts have increased. In 2001, the number of the addicts below 30 years of age accounted for nearly 58 percent. It has now skyrocketed to over 68 percent. Additionally, the number of people injecting drugs has also increase from 46 to 85 percent.
Furthermore, drug trafficking in Vietnam has changed with now the appearance of new types of ‘crystal synthetic drugs’. This is causing authorities some difficulty in detecting this new form of drug.
Attending the ceremony, Truong Tan Sang, Politburo member and permanent member of the Party’s Central Committee Secretariat, has ordered relevant authorities to increase the fight against the HIV/AIDS, drugs and prostitution.
He said, more investment should be made in building rehabilitation centers and job-training centers should assist in the reintegration, of those that had drug problems, back into the community.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Headquarters of ministries in Hanoi to be preserved as a relic
» Southern province's court jails women trafficking ring
» Deputy PM welcomes Thai official in Hanoi
Latest Category Posts
- Social Headlines December 7
- The funeral without the body - victim of cosmetic surgeon
- Two Vietnamese killed in Yemen terrorist attack
- Vietnam, China officials talk border, territory issues
- Police admit mistakes made in murder case investigation
- Vietnam's population is aging the fastest in the world
- Farmers face difficulties in modern times
- Ha Noi reaches GRDP goals
- Hanoi’s mobile shops on motorcycles
- Viet Nam delegation attends food conference
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Secondary school students join wildlife protection programme
- Vietnam’s population hits 90 million
- Vietnamese border guards rescue 19 Cambodians in flood
- US and Vietnamese authorities, businesses to share best practices in airport operations
- Super typhoon makes landfall in central Vietnam
- Newborn baby ineligibly named board chairman
- Ha Noi trade hotspots inspected for fire risk
- HCM City to inspect 25 state-owned firms
- Are dog thieves to blame for fatal vigilante attacks?
- Rotary presents wheelchairs for children with disability
- General Vo Nguyen Giap's funeral in Quang Binh
- Foreigners praise General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Vietnam mourns General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Japanese teacher’s body kept in hospital in HCMC
- Finance ministry’s salary cut proposal faces government opposition
- Government moves to strengthen child adoption practices
- City families shifted for embankment works
- Vietnam to restructure agriculture and profit farmers: Minister
- In pictures: People pay tribute to General Giap outside funeral home
- NA Chairman calls for agriculture boost