A baby girl born with intestines exposed outside her abdomen was saved after an emergency surgery at Khanh Hoa Province’s General Hospital on Saturday.
Diagnosed with gastroschisis (or paraomphalocele), a congenital defect which exposes a patient’s intestines through the anterior abdominal wall, the baby was admitted from another hospital where she was born two hours earlier.
Cao Viet Dung, deputy head of Khanh Hoa General Hospital, said the baby’s large and small intestines, gall bladder and oviduct were exposed through an opening which was about 4 centimeters long.
After the one-hour operation, the doctors managed to place all of the internal organs back inside her abdomen.
Doctor Dung said one in every 2,000 to 5,000 babies are born with this defect and it is more commonly found in girls than boys.
The baby’s recovery is being closely monitored.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Vietnam wishes to promote all-round cooperation with Pakistan
» Best places for Christmas in Hanoi
» Vietnam’s first two buildings get World Bank’s efficiency certificate
Latest Category Posts
- One more Vietnamese bride killed in RoK
- Christmas wishes come to southern Protestants, Catholics
- Vietnam, India foster collaboration in education
- Rescue efforts for trapped workers accelerated
- Demographic studies vital for social-economic development
- VN to absorb US$ 12 bln remittances in 2014
- VN welcomes resumption of US-Cuba ties
- State President to visit Cambodia
- Workshop talks approaches to SEA cross-border livelihoods
- EVN HCMC asked for better performance
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- HCM City flood-prevention projects lack funds
- Quang Ninh-Thanh Hoa at highest risk of powerful storms: study
- City urged to save part of old trade centre for posterity
- Inexperienced, unlicensed foreign drivers rent bikes freely in Vietnam's backpacker's area
- Vietnam to launch campaign to combat drunk drivers
- Sexual bribery exists in Vietnam: official
- Hanoi sets off fireworks to celebrate Liberation Day
- Vietnam's National Assembly to discuss China's East Sea strategy
- President listens to voters' opinions
- Vietnam Military History Museum receives new exhibits
- Vietnam’s efforts for a peaceful and prosperous ASEAN Community
- Vietnam, Belgium in new period of cooperation
- Deputy PM to visit Japan, Iran
- Donors praise Vietnam’s climate change adaptation efforts
- Vietnam’s seafood, agricultural products make way to Singapore
- Vietnam wants to further friendship with India
- Laos appreciates support of Vietnamese mission in Geneva
- Vietnam to recognize international driver's license in 2015
- Ha Noi hosts int’l public admin meet
- Images: Inside a war scrap trading workshop in Quang Tri