A baby girl born with intestines exposed outside her abdomen was saved after an emergency surgery at Khanh Hoa Province’s General Hospital on Saturday.
Diagnosed with gastroschisis (or paraomphalocele), a congenital defect which exposes a patient’s intestines through the anterior abdominal wall, the baby was admitted from another hospital where she was born two hours earlier.
Cao Viet Dung, deputy head of Khanh Hoa General Hospital, said the baby’s large and small intestines, gall bladder and oviduct were exposed through an opening which was about 4 centimeters long.
After the one-hour operation, the doctors managed to place all of the internal organs back inside her abdomen.
Doctor Dung said one in every 2,000 to 5,000 babies are born with this defect and it is more commonly found in girls than boys.
The baby’s recovery is being closely monitored.
|< Prev||Next >|
» BMW modernizes operations as sales rise
» Is Tan Son Nhat Airport overloaded?
» Who want to buy the world's longest hair?
Latest Category Posts
- Deputy PM Minh stresses VN’s prospects at Reuters’ interview
- Government Inspectorate plans 25 inspections in 2015
- Vietnam, US hold 7th political, security, defence dialogue
- Mekong Delta targets 49 percent of workforce trained labourers
- Vietnam funds Cambodian artillery’s headquarters
- Vietnam rapidly urbanising: World Bank report
- Drastic measures needed to optimise Central Highlands strength
- Health insurance cards for “near-poor” households in Central Highlands
- New Lao Cai bus station has shopping centres
- Party establishment – historical turning-point of VN revolution
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Vietnam PM approves 9-day Lunar New Year holiday
- Vietnam to launch campaign to combat drunk drivers
- Inexperienced, unlicensed foreign drivers rent bikes freely in Vietnam's backpacker's area
- Vietnam’s efforts for a peaceful and prosperous ASEAN Community
- Nguyen Ba Thanh expected to leave US for Vietnam today
- Vietnam wants to further friendship with India
- Vietnamese woman made famous by David Beckham faces penalties for breaking traffic rules
- Laos appreciates support of Vietnamese mission in Geneva
- Vietnam’s strategic opportunity with the US
- Vietnam to recognize international driver's license in 2015
- Vietnam welcomes US House’s Resolution H.Res 714
- Vietnam seeks high-tech solution to traffic death toll
- HCM City announces results of confidence vote
- HCM City officials visit Laos
- Laos, Vietnam adopt measures for increased cooperation
- Hanoi police investigate “red-book” corruption allegation
- Southeast Asian volunteers assist locals in Thua Thien – Hue
- Vietnam treasures time-honoured friendship with Russia
- Bulgaria wants closer ties with VN
- Two provinces have new chair, vice chair