A baby girl born with intestines exposed outside her abdomen was saved after an emergency surgery at Khanh Hoa Province’s General Hospital on Saturday.
Diagnosed with gastroschisis (or paraomphalocele), a congenital defect which exposes a patient’s intestines through the anterior abdominal wall, the baby was admitted from another hospital where she was born two hours earlier.
Cao Viet Dung, deputy head of Khanh Hoa General Hospital, said the baby’s large and small intestines, gall bladder and oviduct were exposed through an opening which was about 4 centimeters long.
After the one-hour operation, the doctors managed to place all of the internal organs back inside her abdomen.
Doctor Dung said one in every 2,000 to 5,000 babies are born with this defect and it is more commonly found in girls than boys.
The baby’s recovery is being closely monitored.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Unlicenced herbal medicine gives infants lead poisoning
» Party General Secretary conveys Lunar New Year greetings to Party, people
» Petrol-smuggling fight requires co-operation
Latest Category Posts
- Social News 6/2
- Nine people prosecuted for broken water pipelines
- Guidance on diagnosis and treatment for Zika virus announced
- Seasonal jobs provide extra cash ahead of Tet
- Waste treatment factory affects lives of locals
- Tet gifts offered to impoverished people nationwide
- High profit attracts farmers to red dragon fruit
- Blood donors multiply, but shortage continues
- Foreign diplomats extend New Year greetings via video
- Bus firms ignore passenger safety in run-up to Tet
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- VN debuts at int'l computer programming contest
- Soldiers' remains found in resident's garden
- Ha Noi's trees face axe for traffic constructions
- Social network becomes local press's partnership, competitor
- Ha Noi to restore city's depleted, polluted rivers
- Nearly 4,900 vehicles fined through "black box" data
- HCM City People's Court begins trial of gamblers
- Viet Nam, China boost practical prosecution ties
- Japanese cherry trees to bloom in Hanoi
- Tips to avoid scam taxi in downtown Ho Chi Minh City
- Handicapped children to benefit from Hanoi Run
- Ha Noi People's Committee gets new chairman
- Downtown Ho Chi Minh City streets to be blocked for huge fire drill
- Deputy PM's visit beefs up Viet Nam-Israel co-operation
- Splish-splash: Heavy rains inundate city streets
- Dec 12 is Int’l Friendship Day in HCM City
- Ha Noi People's Committee elects new chairman
- Ha Noi to tighten management of construction
- Hanoi police to fine traffic violations with cameras starting next month
- Da Nang to build flyover at busiest roundabout