A baby girl born with intestines exposed outside her abdomen was saved after an emergency surgery at Khanh Hoa Province’s General Hospital on Saturday.
Diagnosed with gastroschisis (or paraomphalocele), a congenital defect which exposes a patient’s intestines through the anterior abdominal wall, the baby was admitted from another hospital where she was born two hours earlier.
Cao Viet Dung, deputy head of Khanh Hoa General Hospital, said the baby’s large and small intestines, gall bladder and oviduct were exposed through an opening which was about 4 centimeters long.
After the one-hour operation, the doctors managed to place all of the internal organs back inside her abdomen.
Doctor Dung said one in every 2,000 to 5,000 babies are born with this defect and it is more commonly found in girls than boys.
The baby’s recovery is being closely monitored.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
» Bitexco offers to run major bays
» Cai Cuong ancient house
Latest Category Posts
- Lam Dong: Vocational training benefits rural workers
- PM approves Central Highlands planning till 2030
- Workshop seeks to boost female workers’ rights
- VN, RoK enhance cooperation in culture, education
- Gia Lai steps up sustainable development efforts
- War martyrs commemorated nationwide
- Fallen soldiers laid to rest in Long An, Binh Phuoc
- Thua Thien-Hue targets green urban transport system
- Joint efforts for justice for Vietnamese AO victims
- HCM City police bust hi-tech crime ring
Random Category Picks
- Congratulations to Indonesian newly-elected President
- 89 mothers awarded title of Vietnamese heroic mother
- Transport Ministry to dismiss officials in rail project management unit
- World Bank’s support, assistance to poverty fight praised
- IPU high ranking official pays a working visit to Vietnam
- 3 kids drown while bathing in Hanoi river
Popular Category Posts
- ‘Modern' kids drive parents to distraction
- Prime Minister highlights Vietnam’s role at ASEAN Summit
- Vietnam announces 10 records related to Hoang Sa, Truong Sa archipelagoes
- Hanoi, Da Nang, HCM City march against China’s illegal actions
- Single-motherhood begins to appeal to urbane Vietnamese women
- Secondhand stuff turned into luxury brand clothes in Vietnam
- National paediatrics conference convened in Hue
- Activities to mark President Ho Chi Minh's birthday
- Vietnam attends Asia-Pacific Roundtable in Malaysia
- Hanoi ranks 8th in terms of child welfare, rights
- Vietnam responds World No Tobacco Day 2014
- Prime Minister urges to defend sovereignty in accordance with the law
- Vietnam, Russia hold friendship exchange
- Nick Vujicic returns to Vietnam
- Citizen identification bill gets approval from NA committee, likely valid next year
- Photos: Vietnamese ship rammed by five Chinese vessels
- Vietnam attends Global Summit of Women in Paris
- Family Day targets personality development
- Dien Bien Phu victory discussed in Argentina
- Friendship associations in Europe again protest China’s wrongful acts