A baby girl born with intestines exposed outside her abdomen was saved after an emergency surgery at Khanh Hoa Province’s General Hospital on Saturday.
Diagnosed with gastroschisis (or paraomphalocele), a congenital defect which exposes a patient’s intestines through the anterior abdominal wall, the baby was admitted from another hospital where she was born two hours earlier.
Cao Viet Dung, deputy head of Khanh Hoa General Hospital, said the baby’s large and small intestines, gall bladder and oviduct were exposed through an opening which was about 4 centimeters long.
After the one-hour operation, the doctors managed to place all of the internal organs back inside her abdomen.
Doctor Dung said one in every 2,000 to 5,000 babies are born with this defect and it is more commonly found in girls than boys.
The baby’s recovery is being closely monitored.
|< Prev||Next >|
» The death of three babies after charity surgery investigated
» Ebola: British man begins treatment in London hospital
» Thai 'baby factory' doctor to turn himself in - police
Latest Category Posts
- Odon Vallet scholarships awarded to more students
- Samsung runs Employee Volunteer Programmes in Vietnam
- Undersea cable line from Ly Son island connects to national grid
- Trial bilingual teaching in natural science subjects to start
- Management of electric motorcycles, bikes urged
- ASEAN maritime forum opens in Da Nang
- Busineses may save over 200 hours for tax declaration
- Government to send drought aid to Ninh Thuan
- Over VND44 trillion needed for flood control in delta
- Vietnam aspires to stable relations with China
Random Category Picks
- EU, VN aim to conclude free trade negotiations
- Overloaded trucks protected by officials who ignore state regulations
- Public demands answers as Hanoi's major water pipe breaks for ninth time
- Vietnamese drowning victim identified
- Government to invest $25 million in martyr DNA testing centers
- VN tackles latest avian flu outbreak
Popular Category Posts
- 18,000 Vietnamese marry foreigners each year
- Hanoi ranks 8th in terms of child welfare, rights
- Geneva agreement – great victory of Vietnamese diplomacy
- Photos: Vietnamese ship rammed by five Chinese vessels
- Legal remarks for Vietnam’s lawsuit against China
- Public outcry over work permits granted to 2,100 Chinese
- Startups by ‘dropouts' blaze a trail
- Friendship associations in Europe again protest China’s wrongful acts
- Substandard helmets cause headache for police and drivers
- Online prostitution services booming
- Vietnamese people hold rally in Vienna against China’s acts
- Chinese drilling rig pulled out of Vietnam’s waters
- Photos: Lang Son ravaged by floods
- Vietnam remains 14th most populous country in the world
- Journalist writes her way to success
- Over 500 Vietnamese workers remain in Libya
- Air traffic controller suspended for near-collision on Vietnam runway
- 14-year-old boy cycles 250km after getting lost on way to wedding
- French officials support Vietnam’s East Sea stance
- Vietnam Coast Guard closely monitoring China’s 2nd oil rig