|1. Hong Ngoc General...|
Category: Doctors and Clinics
City: Ha Noi
|2. Caseamex JSC.|
Category: Food Manufacturing
City: Can Tho
|3. DANA-Y Steel JSC.|
Category: Industrial Supplies
|4. Duc Manh Corp.|
Category: Estate Agents
|5. Inexim Daklak JSC.|
City: Dak Lak
|6. National Hospital of...|
Category: Doctors and Clinics
City: Ho Chi Minh
About 3,600 Vietnamese people go to Cambodia to gamble every day, and on Saturdays the figure increases to 5,000, a survey by the Ministry of Public Security’s General Department of Crime Prevention and Control shows.
A scene of gambling seen in a casino. Vietnam's Ministry of Public Security reports that 3,600 Vietnamese gamble in Cambodia daily, Photo: Internet
The survey results were released at the conference held Friday by the ministry to review its units’ performance in combating prostitution and gambling in 2011.
The General Department said it had conducted the survey at 40 casinos and 23 cockfighting fields in Cambodia and ten Vietnamese localities that border Cambodia.
According to the Criminal Police Department, these casinos and cockfighting fields are organized professionally through a close management system including boards of directors, managers, accountants, foreign exchange clerks, cashiers, poker dealers, guides, and security guards.
They even have groups of marketers who visit many areas, both urban and rural, to lure gamblers and cockfighters into spending their money.
The department is keeping a close eye on 173 gamblers, and the 319 drivers who usually take those gamblers from Vietnam to Cambodia, as well as 47 members of the underworld who act as protectors of casinos and cockfighting fields in Cambodia.
Last year police nationwide detected more than 11,000 gambling cases involving 56,000 people, up 10 percent from 2010.
Police also cracked down on more than 1,000 prostitution rings involving 4,500 women in 2011.
Over time, the prostitution industry has become more complex, involving numerous complicated operation methods, the department said.
In order to drive back gambling and prostitution, the General Department of Crime Prevention and Control asked all police units to strengthen their investigation and detection of such crimes, encourage the public to take part in fighting social evils, and tighten management over operators of games with monetary bonuses.
Source: Tuoi Tre
|< Prev||Next >|
» Three Vietnamese listed in top 30 Asian record holders
» Book pays tribute to local legends
» 80 percent of Vietnamese still support eating dog meat
Latest Category Posts
- Ministry proposes hiring French experts to make capital region planning
- Patients praise satellite hospital services
- Four crewmen rescued over the weekend
- Vietnam’s population of over 88.5 mln is aging fast
- Vietnam to join military exercise in Brunei
- Officials who poll under 50% face resignation risks
- Religious freedom in Viet Nam guaranteed
- Trafficked victims get new lease on life
- Citizens submit opinions on amended constitution
- The country name to be maintained
Popular Category Posts
- The forgotten Truong Sa sea battle
- After the sea battle
- Planned new opera house raises traffic concerns
- HCMC to pilot issuing taxi vouchers to passengers
- City compiles shortlist for IT-Telecom awards
- Deputy PM calls for greater effort in science and technology development
- Sunday market opens in city
- Chinese teaching books for kids with “U-shaped line” confiscated
- Vinamilk grants 1,000 scholarships to talented students
- Dong Nai authorities say ‘No’ to hydropower projects
- A young man’s sympathy for poor children
- Drivers wearing fake helmets to be fined $10
- National Assembly’s Chair: The people decide the Constitution
- Pretty girls work as xe om drivers
- Family Year to be launched this month
- Constitution changes ‘advance human rights'
- Woman survives after 3 days soaked in mud
- No fine for helmet users: minister
- HIV/AIDS fight faces cash crunch
- Coach drivers injured in head-on crash