Delegates attending the conference “Sustainable development of hydroelectricity -lessons and recommendations” held this week in Quang Nam have criticized the unbridled construction of hydroelectric power plants in the central province.
Hydroelectricity power plant Se San in the central province of Quang Nam, Photo: Tuoi Tre
Report shows that Quang Nam now has 119 hydroelectric plants built in forests. On average, one forest accommodates 2.5 projects.
Le Phuoc Thanh, chief of the parliamentary delegation of Quang Nam, said, “Hydroelectric power plants bring benefits to investors but not to local residents”. He pointed out their negative effects such as flood, relocation of citizens, lack of land for production, high rate of poverty and forest destruction.
Do Tai, chairman of the People’s Committee of Dong Giang District, complained that his residents do not have enough land for production and thus, have been forced to destroy the forest to earn a living.
Besides, the projects have caused bad effects on biological diversification.
At the conference, many professors and experts suggested leaders take urgent actions now to prevent further consequences from the thick power factory network.
Ph.D Vu Trong Hong, president of Vietnam Irrigation Association, recommended local authorities make a comprehensive survey to assess the stability of dams as soon as possible.
“We have taken the wrong step in building so many hydroelectric plants. Now, it’s hard for us to make amends,” said Dinh Van Thu, vice chairman of the People’s Committee of Quang Nam.
Source: tuoi tre
|< Prev||Next >|
» Government sniffing out sub-standard hydro projects
» Cat Tien power projects still courting controversy
» Rivers exhausted by hydroelectric plant
Latest Category Posts
- New airport to be built in Binh Thuan
- 8-year-old kids row to school
- Parents pose as teens to protect kids online
- Social Headlines December 8
- In pictures: The southwestern flower village prepares for the Tet holiday
- Political Headlines December 8
- Deputy PM examines highway project
- Social Headlines December 7
- Quality assurance offered on smaller scale
- The funeral without the body - victim of cosmetic surgeon
Popular Category Posts
- Secondary school students join wildlife protection programme
- Vietnam’s population hits 90 million
- Vietnamese border guards rescue 19 Cambodians in flood
- US and Vietnamese authorities, businesses to share best practices in airport operations
- Super typhoon makes landfall in central Vietnam
- Newborn baby ineligibly named board chairman
- HCM City to inspect 25 state-owned firms
- Ha Noi trade hotspots inspected for fire risk
- Are dog thieves to blame for fatal vigilante attacks?
- Rotary presents wheelchairs for children with disability
- General Vo Nguyen Giap's funeral in Quang Binh
- Foreigners praise General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Vietnam mourns General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Japanese teacher’s body kept in hospital in HCMC
- Finance ministry’s salary cut proposal faces government opposition
- City families shifted for embankment works
- Vietnam to restructure agriculture and profit farmers: Minister
- In pictures: People pay tribute to General Giap outside funeral home
- General Vo Nguyen Giap to rest in peace on Quang Binh’s island
- Ha Noi police patrol streets to stop crime