An earthquake measuring 4.6 on the Richter scale occurred off the southern Vietnamese coast on Thursday night but caused no damage, Center for Earthquake and Tsunami Warning of the Institute of Geophysics reported.
The map showing the area where the earthquake occurred on Thursday night, Photo: Tuoi Tre
The quake happened at 11:21 pm at 8.58o North latitude and 107.53o East longitude, with the epicenter being 12 km under the seabed.
There were no reports on damage to human life or vessels in the area where the weak quake occurred, the institute said.
Earthquakes in the sea area are usually triggered from movements of the offshore Thuan Hai-Minh Hai fault that is located along the 109o meridian in the south central region, according to the institute.
Experts at the institute are observing geographical changes to the seabed in the area.
Source: Tuoi Tre
|< Prev||Next >|
» Mild earthquake felt in Quang Nam Province
» Strong earthquake hits Taiwan, shakes buildings in capital
» Philippine earthquake death toll rises to 156
Latest Category Posts
- Internet Day 2013 marked with seminar
- Vietnam, Cambodia step up education cooperation
- Winner of Vietnam-Sweden logo contest announced
- Vietnam, US share experience in dioxin cleanup
- National Action Month on Population launched
- Workshop promotes support for UXOs victims in Vietnam
- Quang Ngai flood victims given relief aid
- Vietnam’s Nguyen Dynasty rule over disputed islands
- Hanoi hosts int’l conference on urban development
- Poland assists Vietnam in mausoleum work
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Secondary school students join wildlife protection programme
- Vietnam’s population hits 90 million
- ASEAN coffee, cashew planters trade techniques
- Vietnamese border guards rescue 19 Cambodians in flood
- US and Vietnamese authorities, businesses to share best practices in airport operations
- Super typhoon makes landfall in central Vietnam
- Ha Noi trade hotspots inspected for fire risk
- Newborn baby ineligibly named board chairman
- HCM City to inspect 25 state-owned firms
- Are dog thieves to blame for fatal vigilante attacks?
- Rotary presents wheelchairs for children with disability
- General Vo Nguyen Giap's funeral in Quang Binh
- Foreigners praise General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Vietnam mourns General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Japanese teacher’s body kept in hospital in HCMC
- Finance ministry’s salary cut proposal faces government opposition
- Government moves to strengthen child adoption practices
- Vietnam to restructure agriculture and profit farmers: Minister
- City families shifted for embankment works
- Fake fertilisers must be rooted out: seminar