HCM City should improve food safety and hygiene at all stages of the production cycle from farming to distribution, the head of the People's Council's Cultural and Social Affairs Board has said.
At a meeting between the council and the Department of Health on Wednesday, Huynh Cong Hung said he did not yet feel assured about the food safety and hygiene in the city.
Food contaminated by micro-organisms continued to be sold, while the sale of chemicals used as additives was not brought under control, he said.
For the sake of profits, manufacturers, especially small ones, and vendors were ready to flout safety and hygiene regulations, but Government agencies did not punish them severely enough, he said.
Huynh Le Thai Hoa, head of the city Food Safety and Hygiene Division, said his division faced many challenges.
Agricultural products from other provinces accounted for 80 per cent of those sold in the city, making it difficult to trace their origins, he said.
Violation of safety and hygiene norms remained widespread, he said, with 202 out of 326 food manufacturing and trading facilities inspected in the first six months guilty of it.
The Market Management Department carried out a further 4,200 inspections, discovering 1,800 other violations and seizing 300 tonnes of pork, chicken, eggs, cake, candy, jam, and other foods.
The city Department of Agriculture and Rural Development took food samples from three wholesale markets for testing, and found most meeting quality standards.
But, explained Thi Thi Nhung, Hung's deputy, while food sold in wholesale markets met safety and hygiene norms, they deteriorated after being bought and processed by small facilities, which lacked adequate facilities.
Nguyen Tan Binh, head of the health department, said his agency would take great care while issuing food safety and hygiene certificates to kitchens and canteens at schools and industrial parks.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Vietnam promotes gender equality, women’s rights
» Hue-based plant fined $12,000 for polluted discharge
» $2,500 for a pair of Dong Tao chickens
Latest Category Posts
- Vietnam promotes gender equality, women’s rights
- Vietnam prepares for UN anti-corruption convention review
- 300 year-old tomb discovered, being studied
- $2,500 for a pair of Dong Tao chickens
- One in three kids have no birth certificate
- 3 injured in southern Vietnam fire
- Lam Dong Province donates charity house to veteran soldier
- Lang Son border gates brace for H7N9 virus spread
- Vietnam urged to ratify global waterways treaty
- HCM City marks upcoming Japanese National Day
Popular Category Posts
- Super typhoon makes landfall in central Vietnam
- Newborn baby ineligibly named board chairman
- HCM City to inspect 25 state-owned firms
- General Vo Nguyen Giap's funeral in Quang Binh
- Foreigners praise General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Vietnam mourns General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Finance ministry’s salary cut proposal faces government opposition
- Japanese teacher’s body kept in hospital in HCMC
- City families shifted for embankment works
- Vietnam to restructure agriculture and profit farmers: Minister
- General Vo Nguyen Giap to rest in peace on Quang Binh’s island
- In pictures: People pay tribute to General Giap outside funeral home
- Central Vietnam devastated after storm Wutip
- Facebook page of General Vo Nguyen Giap launched by his family
- U.S. reporter cries when talking about General Vo Nguyen Giap
- Hospitals pulled up on violation charges
- The first images of Vietnam’s 90 millionth citizen
- Fake doctors a big problem in HCM City
- Bodies of two workers swept away in hydropower plant's tunnel found
- Big leaps after 25 years of renovation