In the first four months of this year, 3,660 traffic accidents occurred across Vietnam, killing 3,167 people and injuring 2,712 others, the Transport Ministry reported.
The scene of a serious traffic accident that occurred in Binh Chanh District, HCMC on May 2, 2012, Photo: Tuoi Tre
On average, 26 people were killed everyday during the past four months.
Compared to the same period of last year, the number of accidents drops by 929 or 20.24 percent, while the number of deaths and injuries is down by 17.97 percent and 23.43 percent respectively.
In April alone, 914 accidents occurred nationwide, claiming the lives of 741 people and causing injuries to 283 others.
The figures are 11.86 percent, 15.12 percent and 14.09 percent lower than a year earlier.
Meanwhile, the number of newly registered motorized road vehicles has been on the rise, the ministry said.
In April alone, registration was made for 10,277 cars and 197,807 motorbikes, bringing the country’s total number of vehicles to 36,610,608, including 34,687,856 motorbikes and 1,922,752 cars, by the end of the month.
The past four months also saw 11 waterway traffic accidents, including three serious ones.
Source: Tuoi Tre
|< Prev||Next >|
» UNICEF raises funds for Vietnamese children
» Traffic accidents devastate local families
» 51 traffic accidents per day over past week nationwide
Latest Category Posts
- Ca Pass tunnel project shifts to local funds
- Tunnels planned at An Suong, Thu Duc intersections
- Expressway cuts HCM City-Vung Tau travel time to 2 hours
- City prepares to open new airport road
- Authorities move to expand public transport in cities
- Dutch man died in road accident
- Deputy PM examines highway project
- Two traffic construction projects near completion
- VietjetAir opens new air route from Vinh to Da Lat
- Congratulations on Laos’ National Day
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- HCMC to have first Bus Rapid Transit by 2018
- Ha Noi buses get fast lane in public transport upgrade
- Japanese teacher dies after being run over by bus
- 3.6 billion USD railway to connect HCM City, Can Tho
- Director Do Quoc Trung, film, Hanoi's Cinema and Stage College
- New bridge eases city congestion
- New HCM City fly-overs make congestion worse
- Car accident kills five in Lai Chau
- Half of major expressway ready this year
- MoU inked for City railway plan
- North-South railroad submerged, all trains canceled
- Traffic accident kills one, injures over 20 in Ninh Thuan
- Hanoi inaugurates biggest flyover
- Primary school kids learn "safe walking"
- Man fined $300 for driving bike with feet
- 17 injured in Dong Nai car accident
- Activities planned to commemorate road dead victims
- Overturned motorboat leaves 6 dead, 1 missing
- Tropical to hit Philippines’ Palawan, heading for Vietnam
- 51 traffic accidents per day over past week nationwide