An exhibition of more than 100 photographs of the Anti-American war, taken by photojournalists who worked for the Liberation News Agency (LNA) between 1965 and 1975, is open at the Reunification Palace in HCM City until Thursday.
The exhibition is organised by the Vietnam News Agency (VNA) and the Reunification Palace to mark the 37st anniversary of the liberation of Sai Gon, April 30, 1975, which marked the end of the war.
The images taken by the war photojournalists illustrate the indomitable spirit of the Vietnamese during the conflict, including the stupendous effort that was the Ho Chi Minh Trail. They also capture the indescribable emotions of Vietnamese people and soldiers on April 30, 37 years ago.
The exhibition, titled Viet Nam – Bai Ca Chien Thang (Viet Nam – The Victory Song), also features more than 50 pictures that record achievements in rebuilding the country after the war.
Some of the photographers won awards for their work, while others are known only as a name stamped on the bottom of the photos. More than 260 LNA staff members died during the war, 40 of whom were photojournalists. In 1976, the LNA merged with the VNA.
At the exhibition's opening ceremony, VNA General Director Nguyen Duc Loi called the photographers historians who recorded the country's history through their pictures. To this, they risked their lives in the battlefield, he said.
Also on hand were LNA photojournalist Dinh Quang Thanh, 78, who has several photos of his displayed at the exhibition as well as war veterans Vu Dang Toan and Bui Quang Than, who rode the tanks that crashed through the main gate of the then Independence Palace 37 years ago.
They met and shared their emotions and memories of the special day with students of the HCM City University of Social Science and Humanities as well as the HCM City Culture College.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Int’l Retail and Franchise Exhibition opens in HCM City
» Textile, garment exports seen hitting $25b in 2014
» Photo exhibition spotlights 20-years of French assistance to Vietnam
Latest Category Posts
- Translators bring books to new readers
- EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR NOVEMBER 1-10 (daily updated)
- Hanoi to host Toyota Classics 2014
- Former Tourism Ambassador invites foreign billionaires to Lynk Fashion Show in VN
- Chefs promote Thai food in Ha Noi
- Ha Long Bay souvenir designs awarded prizes
- French film maker falls in love with Vietnam
- US singer Jojo to perform at Halloween festival
- Tabcorp Saigon Cup raises funds for children with heart disease
- Vietnamese stage work acclaimed at ASEAN-China fest
Random Category Picks
- $800k tree stump displayed in northern Vietnam museum
- Centuries-old history reappears in modern products in Vietnam
- Youth Halloween night to bring scares, traffic safety tips
- Ancient ceramics found at sea
- Book compiles photos by ethnic minority children
- Phu My Hung's enormous moon cake for Mid-Autumn Festival at Crescent Mall
Popular Category Posts
- Foreign models wear Vo Viet Chung’s designs in New York
- Vietnamese-origin designer shines at Paris Fashion Week
- Water puppetry to charm Tokyo's Vietnamese Festival crowd
- Top Vietnamese designers ready for spotlight in Italy
- 6-year old Vietnamese artist wins big award
- Controversy over regional accents of newscasters
- Vietnam’s largest film studio approved to be built in Quang Ninh
- Vietnam’s Central Highlands ethnic music fading in urban showbiz
- Vietnamese couple recognised as oldest in Asia
- Italy - Vietnam Fashion Council formed
- City orchestra to stage anniversary concert
- Vietnam art lags behind other Asian countries at int’l auctions
- VN coffee shop among world's top 20 spectacular buildings
- Circus artists to debut special performance for children
- Vietnamese singers ignorant of music theory
- Two models to be fined for illegally participating in overseas beauty pageants
- Young author wins literary prize
- Expo on sovereignty protection begins in southern Vietnam
- Italian painter's art captures everyday life in VN
- Foreigners present gifts to children in Vietnam hub ahead of Mid-Autumn Festival