Vietnamese track and field athletes returned home from the Malaysia Open on the weekend with two gold and one silver medals.
Home in a flash: Vu Thi Huong wins a gold medal in the women's 100m sprint at the Malaysia Open. She then added another gold in the team 4x100m relay. Huong is one of favourites among Vietnamese in the Asian Games in Guangzhou, China, on November 12-27. (Photo: VNS)
Regional sprint queen Vu Thi Huong, who won the first semi-final, went on to take the title of the women's 100m event in a time of 11.55sec. Her teammate Le Ngoc Phuong, who won the second semi-final, pocketed the silver in 11.79 sec.
They both later participated in the women's 4x100m relay, which Viet Nam easily won in a time of 45.06sec.
Coach Nguyen Dinh Minh said he was pleased with the team's achievements, even though they had performed better at other tournaments.
"They performed well and achieved some good results at the [Malaysia] Open. What I regretted most however is that the competition attracted only Southeast Asian athletes, so we were not able to test ourselves against the best in the region," Minh said.
He added that he was not disappointed that Huong did not get closer to her best time of 11.34, which she achieved when winning the SEA Games title. He said there were still three weeks to go to the 16th Asian Games (ASIAD), when he said he believed Huong would be at her peak.
At the biggest sports event in the region, Vietnamese athletes will compete in the women's 200m, 800m, 1,500m, 400m hurdle and 4x400m relay; while the men will take part in the 800m, 1,500m, long jump, triple jump and decathlon.
The track and field events start on November 21, with the finals taking place six days later at the Aoti Stadium in Guangzhou.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Korea to provide $1 mln nuclear equipment to Vietnamese university
» Volleyball players see huge rewards for winning
» Son takes up mantle as new top chess seed
Latest Category Posts
- Volleyball players see huge rewards for winning
- Son takes up mantle as new top chess seed
- Vietnam maintains second place at SEA Games 27
- Myanmar Games open with a bang
- Wrestlers add to VN gold medal tally
- Minh receives wildcard to start SEA Games' quarters
- Khanh wins Viet Nam's seventh gold medal
- Singing martial artist heads to SEA Games
- Viet Nam triumph at regional handball championships
- Wushu artists excel with Games medal haul
Popular Category Posts
- Vietnam aims to win 76 gold medals at 2013 SEA Games
- Nguyen Tien Minh: Hunting for the SEA Games title
- Danish Ambassador, Running Man to join Mountain Marathon
- People run for peace in Ha Noi
- Tien Minh’s lucky draw at Denmark Open 2013
- Cuong dominates archery
- Badminton ace Minh gets huge sponsor
- Young guns set up grandstand final
- International sailboats coming to Nha Trang
- Ha Thanh placed sixth at World Championships finals
- 519 local athletes to compete at 27th SEA Games
- Le Quang Liem gets up to 34th on FIDE rankings
- An Giang shows no signs of braking at cycling champs
- Myanmar pulls out stops for SEA Games
- Five golden hopes of Vietnam to be absent from 27th SEA Games
- HCM City win Chinese chess tourney
- National tennis champs to kick off
- VFF accused of wasting state budget
- Badminton ace Tien Minh hunts for SEA Games trophy
- Tien Minh claims sixth in world rankings