Viet Nam will send 19 players to compete at the Southeast Asian Junior Table Tennis Championships at Hai Duong City's 2,000-seat gymnasium tomorrow.
The coaching team has called up top seeds Nguyen Thi Viet Linh, prodigy Vu Thi Thu Ha and Nguyen Ngoc Tu for the five-day tournament.
Ha, 13, bagged two bronze medals at an ASEAN student table tennis tournament in Indonesia, while Linh, 17, won the U-15 girls' singles at the 2009 Southeast Asian junior championships in Thailand.
The team also includes teenagers Ta Hung Khanh and Pham Thi Thu Huong from Ha Noi T&T.
It's the first time the country has hosted a regional junior tournament, with the participation of over 100 players from Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines, Cambodia, Laos and Viet Nam.
They will be competing in U-18 and U-15 age groups for 11 medal sets in the boys' and girls' singles, doubles, mixed doubles and team events.
"This is the biggest ever junior tournament that Viet Nam has hosted. Vietnamese juniors will face tough rivals from Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia in the singles events," said the Viet Nam Table Tennis Federation's general secretary, Pham Duc Thanh.
"The tournament has been a chance for Vietnamese players to show off their power in the past years."
At the tournament last year, Viet Nam bagged two gold, one silver and four bronze medals.
"We're ready to host the tournament. The gymnasium, which was built for the Southeast Asian Games in 2003 and upgraded last year, will be an ideal venue for the biggest table tennis event of the year," said director of Hai Duong Table Tennis Centre Cao Nhu Lan.
Last week, the organising committee inked a sponsorship contract with Ha Noi Television.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Vietnamese wrestlers win two gold medals at SEA Games
» Viet Nam triumph at regional handball championships
» Wushu artists excel with Games medal haul
Latest Category Posts
- Vietnamese athletes excel at Myanmar SEA Games
- Ninh Binh to face strong rivals
- Vietnamese wrestlers win two gold medals at SEA Games
- Vietnam maintains second place at SEA Games 27
- Volleyball players see huge rewards for winning
- Son takes up mantle as new top chess seed
- Myanmar Games open with a bang
- Wrestlers add to VN gold medal tally
- Minh receives wildcard to start SEA Games' quarters
- Khanh wins Viet Nam's seventh gold medal
Popular Category Posts
- Nguyen Tien Minh: Hunting for the SEA Games title
- Danish Ambassador, Running Man to join Mountain Marathon
- People run for peace in Ha Noi
- Tien Minh’s lucky draw at Denmark Open 2013
- Cuong dominates archery
- Badminton ace Minh gets huge sponsor
- Young guns set up grandstand final
- International sailboats coming to Nha Trang
- 519 local athletes to compete at 27th SEA Games
- Ha Thanh placed sixth at World Championships finals
- An Giang shows no signs of braking at cycling champs
- Le Quang Liem gets up to 34th on FIDE rankings
- Five golden hopes of Vietnam to be absent from 27th SEA Games
- HCM City win Chinese chess tourney
- Badminton ace Tien Minh hunts for SEA Games trophy
- National tennis champs to kick off
- VFF accused of wasting state budget
- Tien Minh claims sixth in world rankings
- Viet Nam win first Asian qualifier
- Vietnam qualify for futsal semi-finals