The story of the Vietnamese swimming squad facing troubles during their training in the US is getting more complicated, as a top official has accused swimming talent Hoang Quy Phuoc of being an arrogant superstar, and denied the alleged conflicts between the two local coaches, which is what Phuoc told the media in a contrary story.
(From L), swimmer Hoang Quy Phuoc (L) his coach Phan Thanh Toai, and two other swimmers Nguyen Thanh Phuc and Nguyen Thanh Ngung, Photo: Tuoi Tre
Lam Quang Thanh, deputy head of the General Department of Sports and Physical Training, told Tuoi Tre that the Da Nang-based swimmer has shown sign of superstar’s arrogance, and neglected his practices.
“The head of the swimming department will leave for the US on March 24 to handle the case, and Phuoc will have to return to Vietnam if he remains that arrogant,” said Thanh in an interview with Tuoi Tre.
The Vietnamese swimming squad has been training well in the US said Thanh, citing reports he received from Coach Dang Tuan Anh, who accompanied the five-swimmer team together with Coach Nguyen Tan Quang.
Earlier this week, the squad had to stop their training at the Bolles school in the state of Florida due to conflicts between the US experts and the coaches, as well as between the coaches themselves.
“In Coach Tuan’s view, arrogant Phuoc could not improve his performance due to his perfunctory practices,” he said.
Regarding the two coaches’ conflicts, Thanh said reports show that there have been no fights between the men.
“They maintain a good intimacy,” he confirmed.
However, such a statement is completely different from what Phuoc told Tuoi Tre in another interview.
The young swimmer said Coach Tuan repeatedly appeared to be indifferent to him and Coach Quang.
“The problem lies in Coach Tuan,” said Phuoc.
“Coach Quang has attempted to talk to Tuan through his own initiative several times, but he was always rejected.
“It is not simple to heal this broken relationship.”
Commenting on this, Thanh protested: “Who do you think is the more reliable -- the athlete or the executive?”
“Phuoc is not mature enough to judge an adult story,” he claimed.
Thanh added that in his obtained reports, Phuoc was accused of becoming an arrogant superstar, as he was praised to high heaven by local fans.
The 19-year-old swimmer won two gold medals at the 26th SEA Games in November 2011 in Indonesia, where he set a new SEA Games record in the men’s 100m butterfly event, with a result of 53:07 seconds.
He also made it to the 2012 London Olympic Games after finishing 100 meters in 53.56 seconds, well under the B qualifying standard of 54.19 seconds, in a competition in Malaysia last May.
However, “Phuoc may be forced to go home if his training remains ineffective,” Thanh reiterated.
Phuoc wants to return to Bolles
Amid the messy situation, Phuoc expressed his concern that he will not able to improve his ability to achieve the A qualification standard for the Olympics.
“I am pressured by the high expectation from many people, and myself,” he told Tuoi Tre.
The swimmer said he will call on Dinh Viet Hung, head of the swimming department, to allow him to get back to training at the Florida-based Bolles School upon his arrival in the US.
“It is good to practice with the experts at Bolles, especially at a time when I badly need them to help perfect my skills,” he shared.
“If this is unfeasible, I want to be trained in another place.
“China is a good choice since I have had some effective training sessions there.”
Source: Tuoi Tre
|< Prev||Next >|
» Leading swimmer to carry VN flag at SEA Games opening
» Swimmer Phuoc to carry national flag at Games
» Phuoc steals show at swimming champs
Latest Category Posts
- First gold for Vietnam at 27th SEA Games
- Vietnam Football Federation Chairman resigns
- Quang Anh wins silver at Kids Golf Championships
- World martial arts show to be held in Vietnam
- Vietnam's taekwondo team hopes for gold in Myanmar
- Quang Anh wins silver at Kids Golf Championships
- Local players find the going too tough at Viet Nam Open
- Host Myanmar wins first medal of 27th SEA Games
- Leading swimmer to carry VN flag at SEA Games opening
- Vietnamese athletes face mosquitos in Myanmar
Popular Category Posts
- Nam stuns Zheng to reach semis
- Vietnam aims to win 76 gold medals at 2013 SEA Games
- Quang Liem to compete in US Spice Cup 2013
- Ha Noi lead tournament for stars
- Nguyen Tien Minh: Hunting for the SEA Games title
- Danish Ambassador, Running Man to join Mountain Marathon
- Huong crowned Asian queen
- People run for peace in Ha Noi
- Tien Minh’s lucky draw at Denmark Open 2013
- Cuong dominates archery
- Records smashed at VN athletics tournament
- Marksmen set up records in Ha Noi
- Badminton ace Minh gets huge sponsor
- International sailboats coming to Nha Trang
- Young guns set up grandstand final
- Hoang Nam gains 23 spots on ITF junior rankings
- Le Quang Liem gets up to 34th on FIDE rankings
- Huyen sets pole-vault record
- Ha Thanh placed sixth at World Championships finals
- An Giang shows no signs of braking at cycling champs