The 19th HCM City International Track and Field Championships – Viet Nam Open 2012 – ended yesterday, July 12, at Thong Nhat Stadium in HCM City with top athletes dominating as expected.
Asian Games double silver medallist Truong Thanh Hang, who runs for Ninh Binh Province, easily completed her double with another gold medal in her favourite 1,500m event, completing the run with a time of 04:19.32.
Do Thi Thao and Nguyen Thi Phuong of the national team were in the second and third place with times of 04:21.70 and 04:24.57, respectively.
Southeast Asia silver medallist and favourite Nguyen Van Hung of Ha Noi took gold in the men's triple jump event as he hopped, skipped and jumped his way to 16.04m, 0.46m further than teammate Pham Cong Duan. Pham Dang Khoa of HCM City came in third at 14.60m.
Ben Tre's Pham Thi Diem established herself as a leading athlete in the country with a career-best high jump that cleared 1.88m to claim the gold medal in the women's high jump event.
National team member Nguyen Thi Quynh could only clear 1.79m and had to settle for the silver while Tran Hue Hoa of HCM City and Noh Joo Hye of South Korea shared the third place.
Vu Van Huyen set a national new record in men's pole vault by clearing 4.85m but it could only help him earn a silver medal.
Foreign teams enjoyed a lot of success in the last day of the tournament with several finals of their favourite events.
Myanmar dominated the women's 5,000m walk, with Saw Malar New and Kay Khaing Myo Tun taking the gold and bronze medals. Hoang Thi Trinh of Nghe An was second.
Thailand stamped their pole vault domination with Sukanya Chomchuendee and Kreeta Sintawacheewa clinching gold in the women's and men's events respectively.
Filipinos were successful in the women's 400m event and women's 4x400m relay while Indonesians were victors in the women's 110m hurdles, women's 200m and the women's 4x100m.
South Korea won three gold medals with Kim Min taking the women's discus throw gold, Sin Sang Min finishing first in the men's 1500m race and Kim Kwang Yeol winning the men's 400m event.
Chan Ka Chun of Hong Kong took gold in the men's 400m hurdles while Hassan Mohd Robani of Malaysia won the men's 110m hurdles.
Source: Viet Nam News
|< Prev||Next >|
» Viet Nam U23s surprise Galatasaray
» VN U23 face Galatasaray test in friendly match
» Xuan smashes javelin record
Latest Category Posts
- Minh receives wildcard to start SEA Games' quarters
- Khanh wins Viet Nam's seventh gold medal
- Singing martial artist heads to SEA Games
- Viet Nam wins friendly against Laos
- Viet Nam triumph at regional handball championships
- Wushu artists excel with Games medal haul
- Vietnam wins four more golds at SEA Games
- Nhan wins gold at Special Olympics
- Field hockey squad to debut at SEA Games
- Giang adds second gold to Games tally
Popular Category Posts
- Nam stuns Zheng to reach semis
- Vietnam aims to win 76 gold medals at 2013 SEA Games
- Ha Noi lead tournament for stars
- Nguyen Tien Minh: Hunting for the SEA Games title
- Danish Ambassador, Running Man to join Mountain Marathon
- Huong crowned Asian queen
- People run for peace in Ha Noi
- Tien Minh’s lucky draw at Denmark Open 2013
- Cuong dominates archery
- Records smashed at VN athletics tournament
- Badminton ace Minh gets huge sponsor
- International sailboats coming to Nha Trang
- Young guns set up grandstand final
- Ha Thanh placed sixth at World Championships finals
- 519 local athletes to compete at 27th SEA Games
- Le Quang Liem gets up to 34th on FIDE rankings
- An Giang shows no signs of braking at cycling champs
- Myanmar pulls out stops for SEA Games
- Five golden hopes of Vietnam to be absent from 27th SEA Games
- HCM City win Chinese chess tourney