Japan’s women’s volleyball team defeated North Korea 3-1 in Saturday’s final to retain the International Women’s Volleyball Tournament (VTV-Eximbank Cup 2012), while the Vietnamese girls lost 3-2 to South Korea to finish fourth.
Japan won the first set 25-19, then romped the second 25-16. North Korea won the third 13-10. However, the Japanese girls eased to victory in the fourth 25-19 to pick up the first prize of US$8,000.
Earlier in the day, the Vietnamese girls performed well in the first set to win 25-17, South Korea won the second and third set 25-20 and 25-21 before Vietnam leveled the tie with a 25-15 score. The Koreans, though, won the decisive set 16-14.
Second-placed North Korea netted US$5,000 and South Korea pocketed US$3,000.
In addition, North Korea’s Jong Jin Sim won best player award, while the Australian team won the fair play award.
Vietnam Television (VTV) organized the tournament for the ninth time in the northern province of Vinh Phuc from July 14-21.
The seven-day tournament drew teams from Thailand, China, Australia, South Korea, the North Korea, Japan, Kazakhstan and Vietnam.
This was a great opportunity for the Vietnamese players to sharpen their skills in preparation for the upcoming Asian Cup Volleyball Championships in October.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Chinese team wins int’l women’s volleyball tourney
» Domestic volleyball teams claim second win at VTV Cup
» 4 foreign teams to join VTV women’s volleyball cup
Latest Category Posts
- Minh receives wildcard to start SEA Games' quarters
- Khanh wins Viet Nam's seventh gold medal
- Singing martial artist heads to SEA Games
- Viet Nam wins friendly against Laos
- Viet Nam triumph at regional handball championships
- Wushu artists excel with Games medal haul
- Vietnam wins four more golds at SEA Games
- Nhan wins gold at Special Olympics
- Field hockey squad to debut at SEA Games
- Giang adds second gold to Games tally
Popular Category Posts
- Nam stuns Zheng to reach semis
- Vietnam aims to win 76 gold medals at 2013 SEA Games
- Ha Noi lead tournament for stars
- Nguyen Tien Minh: Hunting for the SEA Games title
- Danish Ambassador, Running Man to join Mountain Marathon
- Huong crowned Asian queen
- People run for peace in Ha Noi
- Tien Minh’s lucky draw at Denmark Open 2013
- Cuong dominates archery
- Records smashed at VN athletics tournament
- Badminton ace Minh gets huge sponsor
- International sailboats coming to Nha Trang
- Young guns set up grandstand final
- Ha Thanh placed sixth at World Championships finals
- 519 local athletes to compete at 27th SEA Games
- Le Quang Liem gets up to 34th on FIDE rankings
- An Giang shows no signs of braking at cycling champs
- Myanmar pulls out stops for SEA Games
- Five golden hopes of Vietnam to be absent from 27th SEA Games
- HCM City win Chinese chess tourney