|1. Song Hong Corp.|
Category: Civil Engineering
City: Ha Noi
|2. Hanoi Housing Corp.|
City: Ha Noi
Category: Advice Centres
City: Ha Noi
|4. Tranh Dong Viet Co.,...|
Category: Arts and Crafts
|5. Danang port Holding...|
Category: Industrial Services
|6. DAKRU Wood Co., LTD.|
City: Buon Ma Thuot
Over the years, several ‘Tuong’ theatre companies have had to close down from lack of patronage, but the Ho Chi Minh City Classical Theatre is still struggling to make both ends meet and preserve the traditional classical ‘Tuong’ or ‘Hat Boi’ form of musical drama alive.
Several ‘Tuong’ artists are struggling to preserve the classical art form (Photo: SGGP)
Every year, the theatre stages over 30 free shows and 70 paid shows, reaping in a mere VND8 million (US$381) per show.
The meagre earnings pay for the costumes, stage decorations, artists, musicians and backstage workers. Since 2000, each artist has only been receiving VND45,000-100,000 per play.
Besides a small fixed salary, several artists earn less than VND1 million a month. As a result, they have been forced to do part-time jobs like assistants to masons, electricians or have opened restaurants or hairdressing saloons.
However, despite earning paltry sums, the theatre artists still maintain their love for classical theatre. Senior artists have also taken great pains to train young artists in recent years.
Outstanding young artists like Anh Thy, Bao Chau, Minh Khuong and Thanh Binh, have not just talent but also a passion and zeal to preserve and develop the traditional classical ‘Tuong’ form of theatre.
Meritorious artist Phan Ngoc Nga, director of the Ho Chi Minh City Classical Theatre said that they desire to have a new stage set for their performances now, as their current one is in bad shape.
|< Prev||Next >|
Latest Category Posts
- Local rock bands struggle to survive
- HBSO to perform New World Symphony
- Dane holds concert
- Local audiences to meet famed Japanese violist again
- Overseas conductor Phi performs in charity show
- BOTB rock reality show offers lucrative prizes
- Online show traces singer's tour
- Ngoc Dai’s album to be withdrawn and destroyed
- Thuy and Vu crowned at TV game show
- Australian trio to bring sweet jazz to Vietnam
Popular Category Posts
- Traditional music composers to have outing
- Int’l jazz masters join Saigon Tango Blitz
- Ca tru strikes fresh chord with young lovers
- Italian chamber group to perform great works
- British music tradition on show in HCM City
- Japanese to conduct Tchaikovsky
- Music festival showcases range of ASEAN talent
- RockStorm is not just music
- Adrian Tan conducts city night
- Opera talents perform German and Vietnamese songs
- Two opera houses salute top violinist
- Hanoi to host French jazz concert
- Belgian connection celebrated
- US performer to give free concert
- UK artist to perform in Vietnam
- French singer/songwriter debuts in Viet Nam
- Acclaimed Polish quartet set to dazzle capital crowds
- Belgium's famous Jazz band to perform in Vietnam
- Justin Timberlake dethrones David Bowie on UK chart
- ‘Spectacular' musician heads for Viet Nam