Jamaica's Devon Derron Hodges scored a hat trick to help Song Lam Nghe An demolish Dong Thap 6-2 and continue leading V-League after 19 matches.
His fellow countryman, Andre Diego Fagan struck twice, while Brazilian-born Nguyen Hoang Helio added a penalty goal to wrap up Nghe An's triumph at Vinh Stadium yesterday.
The win put the central team on top of V-League with 39 points, seven clear of runners-up Da Nang, who lost 2-1 yesterday to Ha Noi ACB 2-1.
Fagan opened scoring just nine minutes into the game when he controlled a quick freekick from Hodges and stunned Dong Thap keeper Bui Tan Truong with a close-range shot. Helio the netted the ball from a spot kick in the 31st minute.
Dong Thap strikers nearly failed to connect despite some clear opportunities in first half time. One minute from the break, Fagan helped Nghe An take a 4-0 lead.
Hodges then fixed his hat trick with two more goals in the 56th and 67th minutes.
Dong Thap pulled back two goals in the 82nd and 89th minute thanks to Nigerian strikers Samson Kayode and Felix Gbenga Ajala.
In an earlier match on Saturday, defending champions Ha Noi T&T also crushed two-time champs Hoang Anh Gia Lai 6-2 at Ha Noi's Hang Day Stadium to rank third in the table.
Dong Tam Long An was kept at the bottom after a 2-1 loss away to Binh Duong, while Khanh Hoa also dropped to second-to-last with a 1-0 defeat by Ninh Binh.
Hai Phong, which beat Thanh Hoa 2-1, climbed up to seventh place from their previous 11th, while Navibank Sai Gon took a 2-0 win over Hoa Phat Ha Noi at HCM City's Thong Nhat Stadium.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Four poisoned by wine in Quang Ninh
» Vietnam Tourism Awards 2012 winners announced
» Winner of Vietnam-Sweden logo contest announced
Latest Category Posts
- Team effort holds key to Games success
- Antiques dating back to the 14th century found in central Vietnam
- World Cup 2015 hopes growth for Vietnamese women
- Vietnam plummets on FIFA November rankings
- Viet Nam to play world, continental champions in Asian Cup
- T&T ready for regional challenge
- An Giang beat U23 in friendly
- Vietnam back to AFC Champions League after three seasons
- Football clubs struggle in hard economic times
- V-League 2014 kick off slated for mid-January
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Turkist FC arrives in Vietnam for friendly game with U23 Vietnam
- FIFA President congratulate V-League 2013 champion Hanoi T&T
- Vietnam midfielder badly injured by Indonesian fullback
- Asian media praises U19 Vietnam
- U19 Vietnam to wear black armband during the game against Australia
- Cong Vinh summoned for Vietnam-Uzbekistan match
- VN U23 face Galatasaray test in friendly match
- Viet Nam scores first win in U16 qualifier
- Vietnam to host 2013 U13 ASEAN Cup
- Vietnam trounce Australia 5-1 at Asia U19 event
- Young players rekindle hope for Vietnamese football
- Indonesia top U19 championships
- VPF says list of teams to play in V-league remains uncertain
- U19 squad embark on Asian qualifiers
- VN youngsters set for Yamaha Cup
- 2013 V-League top scorer naturalized in Vietnam
- U23's beat Dong Nai 1-0
- T&T win maiden trophy at U21 football
- U23's beat Myanmar 3-1 in friendly
- Binh Duong hosts BTV Cup 2013