It is a difficulty to watch the 2012 UEFA European Football Championship at home, Belgian international Vincent Kompany, captain of Premier League champions Manchester City, said in an online chat with Tuoi Trereaders on Friday.
Vincent Kompany gestures during an online chat with Tuoi Tre readers on Friday at the newspaper's headquarters in Ho Chi Minh City. , Photo: Tuoi Tre
“It’s difficult because I wanted to play the European championship with Belgium,” Kompany said.
Belgium failed to book a ticket to the tournament, co-hosted by Poland and Ukraine between June 8 and July 1, after earning a mere 15 points from 10 matches in the qualifying round.
The defender added that his ambition now is to help his national team qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup as Belgium are a good team.
“If we continue like we’re doing now, I think we can surprise everybody at the World Cup in Brazil,” the player said.
Kompany thought England are very organized and efficient but not the favorites when discussing the chances of strong teams at the upcoming European tournament.
“I think Spain is the strongest team,” the Belgian pointed out.
He believed his City teammate Lescott is one the most consistent defenders in the Premier League, and thus deserves a place in England’s starting line-up.
Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo should be one of the top players of the competition if he continues as he played in the last season, the international said.
Speaking of his club, Kompany said he just wants to win more trophies with Man City in the future.
“We’re a big club, and many players came here to win titles,” according to the Belgian.
Answering a question about racism, Kompany revealed there is hardly any racism in the Premier League whereas he was racially abused in Belgium and when playing against Spanish and Italian clubs in away games.
The 26-year-old star said it was a great experience to see so many people waiting for him at the Tan Son Nhat International Airport when he arrived in Ho Chi Minh City on Thursday.
He will be willing to return to Vietnam for a friendly match if there is any invitation for him again, the footballer promised.
Kompany joined Man City in 2008 after two years playing for German club Hamburger SV.
He was named Player of the Season this year by Barclays, the sponsor of the Premier League.
|< Prev||Next >|
» Driving courses in HCM City unregulated
» Brilliance saves point for Long An
» European car sales in first rise for 18 months
Latest Category Posts
- Nghe An poised to finish first half in front
- Veteran midfielder Hoang signs for Can Tho
- Sai Gon coach banned for abusing match official
- Kashima Antlers to bring nine national players to Vietnam
- Football Federation signs a two-year contract with Phuc
- Binh Duong FC asks investigation of “harassment messages” against foreign players
- Rio Ferdinand: Manchester United defender retires from England
- Roberto Mancini: Man City exit because of poor relationships
- Hai Phong beat Xuan Thanh 2-1
- Long An fire head coach Vital following poor start
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Vietnam football eyes top 10 spot in Asia
- Two overseas Vietnamese undetermined to play in V-League
- Gia Lai has first league win
- Milan coach rues missed chances against Barca
- Arsenal's Jack Wilshere out of England's World Cup qualifiers
- Vietnamese football attempts to woo back fans
- Gia Lai has first league win
- VPF referee committee member accused of fraud
- The role of foreign players in V.League
- Vietnam loses 1-0 to host Hong Kong
- Many nominees for football federation’s presidency
- Win at Bayern Munich not impossible - Arsene Wenger
- Manchester United v Real Madrid: Best team lost - Jose Mourinho
- Manchester United boss offers to help former club Dunfermline
- SGXT survive late scare to win first round match in AFC Cup
- Vietnam moves to legalize football betting
- Phuc selected to coach national squad
- Arsene Wenger warns Premier League after European failures
- Uefa takes action against Manchester United
- Viet Nam remain 30th in FIFA women's world rankings