The draw for the AFF Cup 2012 final round took place in Bangkok, Thailand on July 11, to define members of the two groups of the largest football event in Southeast Asia.
According to draw rules, the two host teams – Thailand and Malaysia – must be in different groups.
The Southeast Asian Football Federation (AFF) also places the two top football teams in the latest FIFA rankings – Vietnam and Indonesia – in two different groups. As the two seeds, the Philippines and Singapore are also not in the same group.
Finally, the A group includes host Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines and the top team of the qualifier round. In the B group, host Malaysia will compete with Indonesia, Singapore and the second team of the qualifier round.
The final round will be held in Malaysia and Thailand from November 24 to December 1. The two leading teams of each group will enter the semi-finals, in the round-robin form. The finale will be also in this form.
Before the final round, the qualifier round will take place in Myanmar from October 3 to 10 to select two of the five teams (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, East Timor and Brunei) for the final round. According to football experts, Myanmar and Laos are potential teams.
AFF Cup 2012 schedule (24/11-24/12):
24/11: Vietnam – top team of the qualifier round
30/11: Thailand – Vietnam
Second leg: 12/12: first team of group B – second team of group A; 13/12: first tem of group A – second team of group B
Second leg: 22/12 the winner of the second semi-final game – the winner of the first semi-final game
Group A: Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, first team of the qualifier round
Group B: Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, second team of the qualifier round
|< Prev||Next >|
» Hanoi tackles its ageing population
» Viet Nam looks at creativity to boost local development
» Southeast Asian museum opens doors
Latest Category Posts
- Vietnam Football Federation Chairman resigns
- Team effort holds key to Games success
- Antiques dating back to the 14th century found in central Vietnam
- World Cup 2015 hopes growth for Vietnamese women
- Vietnam plummets on FIFA November rankings
- Viet Nam to play world, continental champions in Asian Cup
- T&T ready for regional challenge
- An Giang beat U23 in friendly
- Vietnam back to AFC Champions League after three seasons
- Football clubs struggle in hard economic times
Popular Category Posts
- Turkist FC arrives in Vietnam for friendly game with U23 Vietnam
- Vietnam midfielder badly injured by Indonesian fullback
- Asian media praises U19 Vietnam
- U19 Vietnam to wear black armband during the game against Australia
- Cong Vinh summoned for Vietnam-Uzbekistan match
- VN U23 face Galatasaray test in friendly match
- Viet Nam scores first win in U16 qualifier
- Vietnam to host 2013 U13 ASEAN Cup
- Vietnam trounce Australia 5-1 at Asia U19 event
- Young players rekindle hope for Vietnamese football
- VPF says list of teams to play in V-league remains uncertain
- 2013 V-League top scorer naturalized in Vietnam
- VN youngsters set for Yamaha Cup
- U19 squad embark on Asian qualifiers
- U23's beat Dong Nai 1-0
- T&T win maiden trophy at U21 football
- U23's beat Myanmar 3-1 in friendly
- Transfer market of Vietnam football slows down
- Binh Duong hosts BTV Cup 2013
- VN make final preparations for Asian Cup qualifiers