|1. Zuellig Pharma Co., LTD.|
City: Ha Noi
|2. Panasonic Vietnam Co.,...|
Category: Electrical Goods
|3. PetroVietnam Finance...|
Category: Business Finance
City: Ha Noi
|4. Vietnam National...|
Category: Marine Services
City: Ha Noi
|5. Vietnam National Coffee...|
City: Ho Chi Minh
|6. Hop Nhat Group|
City: Ha Noi
Australian police have seized half a billion dollars' worth of crystal methamphetamine and heroin after smashing a Hong Kong-linked international drugs syndicate, they said Tuesday.
Australian Federal Police (AFP) guard US$525 million worth of crystal methamphetamine ('ice') and heroin after smashing a Hong Kong-based international drugs syndicate in Sydney on July 31, 2012. Photo: AFP
Police raided addresses in Sydney on Monday, arresting seven people after allegedly finding 306 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine -- known as 'ice' -- and 252 kilograms of heroin worth a total of Aus$500 million (US$525 million).
Four of those detained were from Hong Kong and the other three Australian residents.
It was the largest haul of ice in Australian history and the third-biggest heroin bust, and was the culmination of a protracted operation following a tip-off from the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
"This was an 11-month investigation where we've had tight control over a number of people who we suspected of being involved in illicit narcotic importations," said deputy police commissioner Andrew Colvin.
"This has prevented half a billion dollars of drugs reaching Australian streets."
Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare said it was a major breakthrough.
"This is more heroin and more amphetamine than we often seize in an entire year," he said.
The drugs were allegedly stashed in 100 terracotta pots shipped to Australia from an undisclosed country and tracked to a warehouse in inner-city Sydney, with hundreds of foil-wrapped, loaf-sized packages uncovered.
Those arrested, aged between 29 and 61, appeared in court Tuesday charged with various drug importation and distribution offences and were remanded in custody until October 17.
Source: Tuoi Tre News
|< Prev||Next >|
» Vietnamese-Australians seized with 4 kg of heroin at airport
» Australian zoo says white rhino birth 'sign of hope'
» Australia pledges 3.3 trillion VND in ODA to Vietnam
Latest Category Posts
- Adult obesity rates in Australia reach high level: report
- Edinburgh to host Int'l Conference on Climate Justice
- UN expects global economy to gain momentum slowly
- H7N9 bird flu can spread in mammals: study
- Saudi Arabia reports 17th death of novel coronavirus
- Bieber's pet monkey becomes 'German'
- Bangladeshi, South Korean climbers die on Everest
- Australian zoo says white rhino birth 'sign of hope'
- High public debt raises fiscal crisis risk: IMF official
- Yahoo unveils makeover of Flickr site
Random Category Picks
Popular Category Posts
- Cyprus crisis: limits on bank withdrawals to last 'about a month'
- U.S. House passes government spending bill to avert shutdown
- China and Brazil sign $30bn currency swap agreement
- Cyprus banks to stay shut as world markets take fright
- Obama heads to Israel at start of Middle East tour
- Millions to switch off for 'Earth Hour'
- Closure fears spark run on Cyprus Popular Bank
- Cyprus gov't gives assurances to Bank of Cyprus, demonstration continues
- Amid tensions, American builds schools in N.Korea
- New leader of world's Anglicans enthroned
- Pope's election revives row over Argentine junta
- EU leaders hold broad talks on growth
- 'Plebgate': Mitchell complains to IPCC over police conduct
- Francis embarks on ground-breaking papacy
- FDA studying possible cancer risk of anti-diabetes drugs
- Pope to stamp personal touch on Easter celebrations
- Climate change rewrites world wine list
- Cyprus bailout 'no' sparks joy
- Kenya awaits presidential election ruling
- Car bomb kills at least 10 in Somali capital